Chapter 10: Not In That Way

Five Years Ago

Holly was getting ready for the first day of her senior year, trying to tame her blonde curls with a straightening iron in the bathroom she shared with Tameka. It wasn't going well. Not just because her hair was too thick for her to straighten more than a few strands at a time, but also because her hair looked more like she'd starched it than the sleek, straight strands she'd been aiming for. She groaned. It looked like she'd stuck her finger in a power socket and smelled like it too.

"Ooh, girl," Tameka said with a cough, coming into the bathroom toting her makeup bag and trying to wave off the fumes from Holly's hair. "It is time to give up with the straightening iron."

"For once," she replied, coughing, "I thought it would be nice to not to look like a frizzy-haired freak."

Tameka dropped one hip and raised an eyebrow, crossing her arms over her chest.

Holly rolled her eyes, "You know what I mean. You never look like a frizzy-haired freak."

Tameka had long ago come to terms with her course, curly hair and rocked it au natural in a short poof that she usually wore with a colorful headband to match her outfit. That morning it was an orange and black bold print to match the orange sleeveless blouse that made her dark skin seem to glow.

"That's because I know how to take care of the curls. How many times have I told you this is the enemy?" She said as she picked up Holly's brush and threw it into the trash can. "Fingers," she said, wiggling hers in demonstration, "or a wide-tooth comb if you absolutely need a plastic helper."

She grabbed her mousse from under the sink and wrenched the iron from Holly's hands. "Can you salvage it?"

"Yes, I can salvage it," she said, her eyes softening. "But you have to promise me that you'll burn the hair straightener."

Holly smiled, "I think that'd be a fire hazard, but I'll lay off it."

"Freaking finally. Jesus." Tameka replied with a smile. Sure enough, she did manage to get Holly's hairstyle looking more like loose beach waves instead of the bride of Frankenstein.

Then she picked her makeup bag back up and started patting, buffing, and contouring her face just like every time she left the house. Tameka's makeup routine always seemed more like a magic trick to Holly, who could barely apply eyeliner that looked even.

"This is going to be our year," Tameka said as she leaned forward and widened her eyes to apply her mascara. Holly didn't feel the need to comment that every year was Tameka's year; top grades, undefeated track record, not to mention a boyfriend that kissed the ground she walked on. "Senior year, Holls. This is big."

Holly rolled her eyes. "I know, T, you've only said it a dozen times in the last three days. I get it. But it's just another year to me."

"It doesn't have to be. You could try putting a different foot forward..."

She gave her friend a sidelong glance. "Why bother turning over a new leaf when nothing in the rest of the town changes?"

Tameka pressed her lips together. "If you hate things so much here, then why don't you just leave?"

Holly rolled her eyes. "I can't do that. My life is all set up if I stay here—free college, my dad's house. Does it matter that much if I hate it if staying will give me a jumpstart on life?"