Chapter 17: Stay Awhile

The smell of fresh baked croissants wafted up the stairs and woke Charlotte. She rolled out of bed and hurried downstairs. Even though Leroy's eyes had that bleary, miserable look in them he'd had for the last two weeks, he'd made fresh coffee for them in the French press. He was sitting at the counter alternating between bites of bread and drags on his cigarette. Charlotte studied his face, trying to decide when the best time would be to bring up what she planned to do the next day.

"So, Leroy...I'll need the car early tomorrow. But I'll be back in a few days."

He raised his eyes to look at her. "Where is it you're planning to go?"

She bit her lip and looked over at him. "Freighton. I need to find Peter. I've been thinking about him a lot after the detective showed up looking for me...I just need to make sure that he's alright." 

"You do know that hiding isn't as effective when you aren't, you know...hiding."

Charlotte narrowed her eyes at Leroy. "Do you think I'm stupid? Of course, I know that." 

"Good, then you know you can't risk doing something so dumb. We still don't know who sent that detective or who else they might have sent after you. What if they have people watching Peter and using him as bait to get to you?"

"Those are only possibilities. This is a risk I have to take. I have to make sure that he is okay. He's only in trouble because of me. I'll bring him back here to make sure that he's safe too if that's what it takes."

"It doesn't work that way. It would defeat the purpose of having a safe house if you lead them right back here."

"Fine, then. If you're so worried about your safe house, I'll figure something else out if I need to."

"Don't do this—don't risk your life over some guy you haven't even seen in four years."

"I have to do this, Leroy. I owe it to him."

Leroy grumbled something unintelligible under his breath and stood up from the table. "How about I just pop over there and check on him? I'll report back to you. I'll even take a picture of the little bastard if that's what you want."

She shook her head. "I have to do this. I have to see him myself and make sure that he's okay."

Leroy sighed, "What if something's already happened to him? What'll you do then? Would you really put your life in danger for nothing?"

She shook her head, "God I hope not. I couldn't stand that. I could never forgive myself if I was responsible for his getting hurt." When Leroy said nothing, disapproval still plastered on his face, she added "You don't have to go with me."

"Good. Because I wasn't planning on it. Just because you decide to do something stupid doesn't mean that I'll sit back and watch you do it."

"Fine," she said, watching as he started up the stairs, trying not to let herself be hypnotized by his hips swinging.

"Fine."

***

Charlotte got up the next morning to get ready for the long haul to Freighton. She couldn't bring herself to skip saying goodbye to Leroy, no matter how mad she thought he might be with her. After she'd loaded her things in the car, she knocked at his bedroom door. She got no answer and decided to just walk right in. He was still asleep, curled up with his blankets and clutching an extra pillow in a hug.

"Leroy?" she asked, checking to see how deep in sleep he was.

No answer. She ventured farther into the room. When she was beside the bed, she reached out and put a hand on his shoulder to shake him awake. In a move so fast it took her by surprise, Leroy snatched her by the hand and flipped her over onto the bed, pinning her down. She rushed to catch her breath, trying not to notice the thrill that went through her body from the feeling of his weight on top of her, "Leroy!"