Chapter 16: Tell Me You Love Me

Four Years Ago

"Where is it we're going?" Holly asked after they'd already been on the highway for several hours. Peter had picked her up at six AM that Saturday morning, the anniversary of her father's death, telling her that he had a surprise to take her mind off it. At least he'd thought to stock the truck up with coffee and donuts from Darcie's. She reached an arm out from under the blanket he'd given her to stay warm. Even though the winter had long since ended, it was still too early for the old truck to be at a habitable temperature.

"It's a surprise." She sank back into the seat, not sure how much she even liked surprises. But she said nothing, leaning her head against the cold glass of the window, struggling to stay awake.

When she woke up to Peter's gentle tapping on her shoulder, she saw they were in a parking garage of some kind, the fluorescent lights giving the gray concrete an eerie green appearance. Even though it'd cooled to a tepid room temperature, she finished the rest of her coffee and let Peter help her down out of the truck. She fixed the hem of her black sweater, fluffing her hair where it'd been pushed flat during her nap.

They walked out onto the street from the garage, Holly looking around in confusion. She noticed the ads on the street lamps and she turned to look at him in amazement. "We're in Nashville? Why are we here?"

A sweet smile pulled at the corners of his mouth. "You'll see."

They walked up the street, passing other people out to enjoy the brisk afternoon. They came up to what looked like a storefront or a quirky restaurant, but on closer inspection, Holly saw that it was a museum devoted to Johnny Cash.

She started to well up a little—Johnny Cash had been her dad's favorite musician. There had been so many times throughout her childhood that she'd woken up to the sound of one of his songs carried upstairs as her dad sang along off-key while he cooked breakfast. His stack of Johnny Cash CDs had been one of the few things besides the faded USC shirt he'd worn for every game day she'd taken with her when she'd moved to the Lewis' house.

Peter looked over at her, clearly expecting her to say something. "Well...? Good surprise? I thought it might be a good way to remember him today."

She threw her arms around him, surprising him with a grateful hug before she stopped to think twice about it. "It's a great surprise, Peter."

They spent two hours inside, Holly thinking how much her dad would have been geeking out at all the artifacts they had on display. They got lunch at the little café attached and then took more coffee to go. Holly loved looking at the brick buildings and the street art on the sides of many of them. The laid-back feeling of the city thrilled her—it was such a change from her small, sheltered little town.

Peter had been far too quiet when they'd left the museum and she looked over at him, wondering if something was wrong. He caught her looking at him and bit his lip before he sighed. "There's something I wanted to tell you, Hol."

"Yeah?"

"I, uh..." he said, rubbing the back of his neck. "Well, dammit, I love you."

Holly's eyebrows went up. She stayed quiet at first, not sure what to say—she'd never been told that someone loved her that way before. But after a few moments of deafening silence with Peter staring at her his eyes wider than usual, "That's sweet, Peter. Thanks."

***

She climbed the stairs up to the room she shared with Tameka, trying to be as quiet as possible so as not to wake up her friend. "Did you have a good time at the museum?" Tameka asked, sitting up and turning on her bedside lamp.