39. "I don't love you, Ethan."

(804 words)

*ETHAN's POV*

I finally arrived home safely after a long day of work. I couldn't wait to have my wife in my arms and just lay in bed with her. The chauffeur opened the car door for me once it was parked in the underground garage and I made my way towards the elevator. I pressed a few buttons and then I was going up to the ground floor. The elevator made that ding sound as its doors opened and I walked out, striding towards our bedroom. I twisted the doorknob and walked in, my eyes instantly meeting with Anastasia's.

"Hey, love. How are you doing?" I asked her as I went up to her and grabbed her face to kiss her.

There was no limit of the shock I received when she pushed me away. "Baby? Is everything okay? Are you mad at me for some reason?" I asked her, studying her face. She had a blank expression on her face and her eyes were empty.

"I can't do this anymore." She murmured.

"What are you talking about, love?" I asked her, worry consuming me.

"I can't lie to you anymore." She said firmly this time, her eyes filled with an emotion that I had never seen in them before.... hatred?

"What are you saying, Anastasia? I don't understand."

"I'm sorry." She said, further confusing me.

"Baby, what are you talking about? I don't understand anything you're saying."

"I don't love you, Ethan." Her words felt like a sharp knife as they stabbed me straight in the heart.

"Love, is this some prank?" I asked her, composing myself.

"No! Don't you see, Ethan? I fooled you! I only married you for your money! I can't keep this up any longer though, it's making me feel so cheap." I couldn't decipher a word she said. I watched her mouth move as she uttered those unbelievable words. I didn't know what to say. She couldn't possibly mean all that. She can't. She does love me.

"Anastasia, who's making you say this?" I said bitterly.

"The little truth left in me is making me say this! I partly married you for your money and partly because I wanted to make my ex jealous. I think he's had enough. I want to go back to him now. He's the one who truly has my heart. I want a divorce from you."

I can't even put to words what I felt at that moment. The only girl I had ever loved was asking me for a divorce. No, this can't be true. Anastasia can't do this to me. "No, you're lying." I said firmly, reaching my hand out to touch her face but she backed away.

"No! I was lying before. I'm telling you the truth now because I can't lie to you anymore. Please just give me a divorce and let me be."

I was trying so hard to stay calm. She knew really well what a hot-headed person I was, yet I was trying to contain my anger. The last thing I wanted was to yell at her. "Anastasia, I don't believe a single word you're saying. Perhaps you're not feeling well. Let's lie down for a bit and talk—"

"DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT I WANT A FREAKING DIVORCE FROM YOU?!" She screamed, shocking the hell out of me. I looked at this girl with wide eyes, this girl who had always made me feel loved. She's saying this?

The girl who took a fucking bullet for you couldn't have possibly lied to you.

"I'm not giving you any divorce, Anastasia." I stated calmly, focusing on my breathing to stay calm.

"FOR GOD'S SAKE ETHAN, GIVE ME A FREAKING DIVORCE." She yelled.

"DO WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU WANT, I WON'T FUCKING DIVORCE YOU." I yelled back at her, finally losing my temper. She seemed surprised by my outburst.

"Ethan, don't force me to stay with you any longer when I don't want to!"

"I'm out of here." I said, striding out of the room.

"ETHAN, NO! GIVE ME A DIVORCE." I heard her scream from behind and I squeezed my eyes shut, breathing heavily. I took the elevator to the underground garage where I took a car alone to clear my thoughts.

*UNKNOWN'S POV*

Time's up.

For years, I have fantasised having him as mine. I would run my fingers through his luscious hair and kiss those tasty-looking pink lips of his. I would drive him insane as I would feel him up with my fingertips. I would give him the greatest pleasure of his life.

I had never expected such an intelligent person to do such a stupid thing. He should have chosen me. If he had, I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing.

If I can't have him, then no one can.