40. "...You're the key to my heart, Ethan."

(2251 words)

*Anastasia's POV*

What have I done?!

I knew exactly how furiously and fast Ethan drives when he's mad. And I didn't even want to imagine how fast he must be driving after hearing the only girl he ever loved tell him those hurtful words.

But I had no choice and now I was out of time.

Ding.

I checked my phone immediately. It was a new text message from the devil and the root of all this problem.

'You failed to get that divorce. Now I won't let him live. If he can't be mine, he has no right to live.'

I knew replying and arguing with her, trying to reason with her was useless and a waste of time. I quickly called Brandon. "Hello, Mrs. Ethan. How may I help you?"

"Brandon, I need you to track Ethan's location right now." I said.

"Alright, ma'am. Hold on, please." I was glad he didn't ask me any questions about it.

"Ma'am, it seems he's driving. I'll send you a link using which you can track his location." He said.

"Yes, please do that. Thank you, Brandon."

I stormed out of my room and said into the intercom, "I need a chauffeur right now, please."

As I made my way through the elevator to the garage, I was relieved to find one of the chauffeurs already there. I immediately sat in the backseat while he started the engine. My iPad dinged as I received Ethan's location.

"I need you to follow this." I told him handing him the iPad with Ethan's location.

"Alright, ma'am." He responded and began driving.

"Please, drive as fast as you can." I said anxiously, praying to God to keep my husband safe.

"And besides, nothing can happen to me when I have your prayers." His words echoed in my ears, bringing tears into my eyes.

Oh Ethan, I'm so sorry. If you only knew, I only did this to protect you. I'm so sorry. I love you, I love you so much. You mean everything to me.

*ABOUT 30 MINUTES LATER*

"What's going on?! Why did you stop the car?!" I demanded the chauffeur.

"Ma'am, Mr. Woods' car is right there." He replied.

"Great." I said, preparing to get off.

"Ma'am, I'm afraid I can't let you go. It seems Mr. Woods car is surrounded by some... people." He said.

I narrowed my eyes, trying to see ahead and indeed, Ethan's car was surrounded by people and not just ordinary, random people, ARMED people!

She was telling the truth. She's so insane. How can she do this to him?!

It's all your fault, Ana! You led Ethan here.

I was trying to protect him. I didn't know this would happen.

Well, you're the reason he's going to die.

I battled internally with myself. No, I won't let anything happen to him.

I tried opening the car door but it was locked. "Open the damn door!" I exclaimed, agitated.

"I'm sorry, ma'am. I can't do that."

"I SAID OPEN THIS DOOR RIGHT NOW OR THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES." I screamed. My throat was nearly sore now from all the yelling I'd done that day.