37. Amnesia

37.
[Still 3rd person cause why the fuck not right?]

(Y/N) ran through the hallways trying to find her boyfriend. Once she saw her dad - sitting in a blue plastic chair - she broke down. Her father noticed her and stood up as she walked towards him. Everyone was inside, talking to Sal, which brightened (Y/N)'s mood slightly.

He was okay. He was awake - talking.

Larry looked out the small window and smiled when he saw (Y/N). He swiftly moved towards the door and opened it. His eyes seemed worse than normal. His usual dark bags seemed to grow, as if he hadn't slept in months.

His eyes looked into the bloodshot and swollen eyes of his best friends girlfriend. "He's awake of you want to come say hi." Larry said after a moment.

(Y/N) nodded, loosening her grip around her father's torso, slowly moving towards the door. She could hear his voice. It was rough and filled with pain, which caused more tears to prick in her eyes.

Henry and Lisa noticed her arrival and walked over, giving her a hug. "We will be in the hallway if you need anything, Sal." Henry said, breaking the hug with his sons future bride. Lisa and Henry walked out the door and sat beside Bryan.

"Hey, baby." (Y/N) said softly. "How are you doing?"

Sal looked at her, his eyes flooded with confusion. He looked at his friends then back at the girl in front of him. "I-I'm okay?" He said.

The girl in front of him frowned. Something was wrong. Why was he being like this towards her?

But, to Sal, he didn't know who the friendly face in front of him was? Why was she not running from him? Was his mask back on? Surely, no girl as beautiful as her would ever be able to tolerate his face?

"I'm sorry, but who are you again?" Sal asked. He frowned as the girl in front if him rubbed her face.

"Sally, it's me. (Y/N)? Your girlfriend?" She spoke, her voice turning into a whisper towards the end. Why did he not remember her?

He laughed (and winced) and looked at his brown haired best friend, "You know, Larry." He started, "This is kind of a sick joke to play on someone who just got stabbed." He said. He looked back at the girl who's mouth was slightly agape with hurt filling in her eyes.

"Sally, wha-" Larry started but Sal cut him off.

"No, really dude." Sal said, slightly aggravated. "I was just stabbed and you thought it would be funny to bribe this girl into pretending to be my girlfriend? That's low, even for you. Look at me. Do you think any girl would ever love this face?"

(Y/N) couldn't stop the tears from falling as she turned around and opened the door, letting it slam shut behind her.

Sal watched through the window as the girl cried into Bryan's shoulder. How did she know Bryan? Bryan was his father's friend from work. From what he remembered, Bryan didn't have any children.

Larry let out a sigh before standing up and following out the door, leaving Sal and Alex in the room. Alex looked at her feet, a few stray tears falling onto them.

Once out the door, Larry walked over to (Y/N), putting his hand on her back. She turned around and wrapped her arms around her friend. "Larry, why doesn't he remember me?" She asked. "Doesn't he remember everyone else? Why just me?"

Larry frowned, rubbing her back. "I don't know, (Y/N). I'm so sorry."

Sal felt his heart hurt for the girl. What if she actually was his girlfriend? "Hey, Alex." Sal said.

"Yeah?" She asked, lifing her head.

"Is that girl actually my girlfriend?"

Alex nodded her head. "Uh, yeah, Sal." She said. "Almost two years."

°

Two days later, Sal was released from the hospital. Neil and Todd offered to keep an eye on him for the next couple days while his stitches heal.

One day ago, (Y/N) came over to the house and packed a few of her things, so she could stay at her dad's house until Sal remembered her, or (worst case scenario) until she knew he wasn't going to remember.

Sal was the love of her life, and it hurt that she couldn't be there for him. She wasn't able to take care of him and make sure he was alright. She could have to settle for the updates sent to her from either Neil or Todd.

Larry came over after Sal got settled back in to help him try and regain his memory. The doctor told them that familiar objects we're a good way to get him to regain some of his memory. So, Larry gathered up all the photos of (Y/N) and Sal, along with some videos and items that held a significant value to the both of them.

Larry couldn't find the ring. He thought that ring would be the key, but Sal hid it once they got it home and never told Larry where it was.

"Here's the first picture you two ever took together." Larry said, holing up a photo of Sal and (Y/N). They we're sitting at Lake Wendigo. Sal had a thumbs up and (Y/N)'s fingers made a peace sign.

Sal frowned, shaking his head. Larry continued to go through photos until Sal was basically crying. "Larry, please." He frowned, "I can't do much more. I feel so horrible. How could I forget such precious memories?"

Larry frowned. "You'll get there. I promise."
Larry left the room to let Sal relax and rest. He drove back to the apartments where Alex and (Y/N) were at. When he unlocked the door to his apartment, the two girls sat on the couch, talking.

"Hey." Alex said. Everyone was physically and emotionally drained after the past few days. "How did it go?"

"Not great." Larry frowned, sitting beside Alex. "If only I could find the -" He stopped himself, realizing that (Y/N) was sitting right next to him. "The guitar you got him for Christmas that one year." He said. Alex gave him a look.

"Oh, that." (Y/N) said, "It must be here cause I haven't seen it at the house."

"I'll look for it later."

°

A week passed and Sal was starting physical therapy for his leg. After being stabbed, the doctor said he could have to get some therapy on that leg to keep the muscle from deteriorating.

Larry spent the whole day ransacking that house from top to bottom, trying to find that ring. He heard the door open and Alex and Sal walked through.

"Larry, we're back!" Alex called. "Did you find it yet?"

"No, not-" He stopped. He had just opened the bottom cubbie of Todd's computer desk and a small black box sat inside. He opened it and almost screamed in delight as the single solitaire diamond ring sat inside. "I found it!"

"What did he find?" Sal asked, sitting on the couch, his leg already sore.

"The key to remembering !" Larry shouted, running down the stairs. He placed the tiny box in Sal's hand.

"What's this?" Sal asked, feeling the velvet between his fingers.

"Open it." Alex said. The two sat on either side of their injured friend, watching as he opened the small box.

Tears filled Sal's eyes as his heart ached even more. "I-I was going to propose?"

"It didn't work." Alex sighed.

The two friends felt defeated. Nothing worked. Their friend was still missing those memories of his girlfriend.

Sal sighed to himself, reaching in to pick the ring up. He spun it in his fingers, feeling a warmth in his heart. This warmth continued to grow until he felt tears falling down his face.

All of those memories came flooding back. He could remember the day he confessed his feelings, their first kiss, everything. "Guys." He said, his voice quivering slightly as a small smile formed on his face.

"I think I remember."