Doors To a New End

I can't remember the tone of your voice.

I can't remember the look in your eyes as you walked away.

I can't remember what you told me with your smile.

But I can remember what you said to me where only I could hear.

Time stopped for me.

Now, I'll stop for you.

I'll just stop...

You must've been so broken to have left.

When it was finally the date on the handkerchief I searched every airport and every bus stop. I looked on BigHit's website and searched everywhere for you. That was a year ago.

There's been teasers on TV—

"Remember that really diverse, internationally loved-by-all band BTS? They were invited to their 'Welcome Back' reunion at BigHit! Fans can come and..."

"Bangtan is rumored to be back! There's been some sightings..."

"Keep your eyes out!"

"The famous idols have supposedly returned!"

—and they've all been just teasers.

I waited for news and tried mailing BigHit. They never accepted my emails or my letters. However, I can understand why, since there must be so many at this point. It's been 3 years after all...

That day you were supposed to return I thought for sure I would've found you. I didn't end up eating that night and fell asleep on a train station bench. All the money I'd saved up for that month was burned out on transportation and travel brochures. In one special case I even paid a man to call me if he ever saw a seven-members group passing possibly in masks and long coats and with luggage!

Then, I woke up to the station rumbling from a train.

The trains weren't supposed to operate after quarter-til-ten.

I shook awake, grabbed my bag and searched around as I waited for the train to halt to a stop. The doors shuttered open and I squeezed the handkerchief tighter in my hand.

Two years. A little over the allotted time a South Korean male was sent away for obligatory military service.

No one came out, so I entered the train and began to frantically search around. After no luck, I turned around to walk away when I accidentally bumped into someone. I picked up their fallen black hat and handed it to them as I apologized.

"A-ah, I'm sorry, I was waiting for a group of people and I hurried to leave when they didn't come. I didn't see you there," I smiled away my pain and went to walk away.

"Thank you, and it's all right. I'm sorry to hear that... miss."

I bowed and watched the stranger put their hat back on.

You pulled your backpack tighter and bowed back.

You turned and went to leave the station.

"That voice..."

"Excuse me?"

"Have we met?"

Tears. "I thought you wouldn't realize."

"You... didn't I tell you to—"

I held up the cloth, which is now a dirty rag, and smiled my pain which started to fade itself away again. With my other hand I cupped my mouth in surprise. "Don't cry?"

You smiled then and started to walk closer to me. I began to meet you halfway when the doors shut between us. My eyes widened and you stood there surprised. The train slowly started to depart and you ran alongside the train as it sped past as far as you could. When it was past the station I went to the back window and looked at you. You stood there speechless.

He called for you to go and seemed curious as to what you were staring at. I still haven't seen you.