Chapter 8

"Everything has been arranged," Gabrielle said as she fixed a smudge of lip paint on the side of Athénaïs's face. "I've spoken to your roommate and Madame d'Hedicourt knows to stay away as much as possible. She is eager to gain favor and knows Louise is on her way out. You should find her to be an agreeable woman and more than willing to make herself scarce."

"I don't know if Louise will give up yet. I need to outshine her." Louise was the mother of several of the king's children. That tie alone would keep her in his life. "She can use her children as an excuse to see him."

"Forget about her. Tonight is about you and the king. Go bathe and expect some handsome company." Her eyes twinkled.

Athénaïs stood and turned her suspicious gaze on her. "What have you planned?" Knowing others were planning her liaisons with the king made her feel like she was losing control. The thought made her palms sweat.

"The king might visit you tonight. I passed off a guard uniform bearing Montausier's livery. The king can use the outfit to visit you. All we have to do is wait and see if he does."

Athénaïs's breath caught in her throat. "In the bath. But he'll want... Am I to give him what he wants?"

"Yes. You have already hooked him. Now you will start reeling him in to keep. Be careful and give him what he wants, but don't seem too eager to please. If you wait too long, he'll grow bored and move on to a more willing woman." She gave Athénaïs a once over before pushing her toward the tub. "Tell me all about it tomorrow if he comes. If not, we'll prepare again."

In a matter of minutes Athénaïs was stripped and sat in the tub with her hair out of the water. A piece of linen kept her bottom from touching the hot metal of the tub.

"There. Remember to not smear your makeup. I'll see you tomorrow." Gabrielle waited for a servant to pour in fresh hot water. Steam curled up from the water's surface and the heat helped soothe the tension in Athénaïs's muscles. "That's enough water. No one is to disturb Madame Montespan."

"Yes, madame," the maid answered.

"Good luck." She left with the maid close on her heels, leaving Athénaïs alone to soak in the bath.

She melted into the water. Her skin turned pink from the heat. For a minute she closed her eyes, threw her head back, and focused on nothing but how good the water felt. Her earlier nerves disappeared with the rising steam. If not for the fear of hot baths causing sickness, she would do this weekly instead of scrubbing at a basin or bathing in a river or spring. Remembering who she was meant to be waiting for, she straightened up and got to work at scrubbing herself, making sure to get every bare inch of skin she could.

After a few minutes she stopped the ministrations as doubts crept in. What was she doing? How could she really become the next mistress? She'd be like all the other women who visited the king's bed only to be cast aside the next day. To become so desperate to whore herself to the king spoke either of declining morals, or a desperation to get rid of her husband. Maybe both, she thought. Something about the king made her willing to take risks she wouldn't take for any other man. And it was more than his position as king. The way it had felt to dance with him while his gaze seared her skin with its heat... Her body warmed as her hand traveled up her thigh toward her center.

The door creaked, and she froze. Her gaze darted toward the door as it opened to about the width of a hand. There a pair of dark eyes watched her from beneath a slouched hat. From what she could see, he wore Montausier's livery. The king. Her heart stuttered as she gathered her wits about her. Her remaining confidence slipped through her fingers like the water she sat in.

She swallowed down her fear and grabbed the wash rag. She put on a show of cleaning her neck. Then she ran the rag down her front and into the water, throwing her head back as though it felt magnificent. The figure at the door sucked in a sharp breath. Her confidence came roaring back. With her skin prickling in anticipation of what was to come, she rose out of the tub, using her towel to block the king's view of her body. She clasped the towel in her hands and turned to face the king.