Chapter 14

The gaming tables were popular as always. She couldn't decide whether or not to risk taking a few bets. Some nights when she wound up on a lucky streak she struggled to pull herself away until she'd lost all her money again. It was fast becoming a habit she did not like.

A young woman who couldn't have been at court more than two years rushed past her, tears streaming down her face. Likely one of the night's first big losers. New arrivals were always easy prey.

Spotting Lauzun heading her way, Athénaïs veered across the room toward a gaggle of watchers around the gaming table. Ever since she returned to court and secured a new position for Montausier's husband as a gift for helping her, Lauzun had been hounding her. Whether she walked through the gardens or attended the social gatherings the king held, he always had a way of showing up. She peeked over her shoulder to make sure Lauzun wasn't following, only to see him appear from behind the wide scarlet skirts of a woman to her right. He stepped right into the middle of her path, cutting off her escape. She plastered on a faux smile. "Bonjour, Monsieur Lauzun. What do you want?"

"That's a poor greeting." He frowned.

"If I wasn't sure you only wanted to ask a favor I would give you a better greeting."

"Fair enough." Lauzun looked toward the king where he danced with Madame, who looked pale and sickly again. She reminded Athénaïs of Louise's sickness during her last pregnancy, except Madame's bout of illness always came back, sometimes with no or little warning.

"Keep in mind you will be the ninth person tonight to ask me for a favor or to put a good word in for the king." Between the court chasing after her for favors and the gossip about the insults her husband hurdled at her reputation to anyone who would listen, she felt emotionally wrung dry.

"If you hadn't secured Duc de Montausier his spot as governor to the Dauphin, the court wouldn't be begging for favors. Louise never secured positions for anyone outside of her family, and those were gifts. You're more clever than she."

"The Duc was already high in the king's favor. You give me too much credit." It wasn't hard to convince the king to give the Duc de Montausier the position. A simple reminder of Madame Montausier's role in their relationship had been enough to convince the king.

"Will I have to plot into getting a favor out of you?"

"Monsieur, I've heard enough. I'm done being hounded for favors tonight."

Gabrielle weaseled her way between them. "Leave my sister alone for tonight. She needs a break," she said as she linked her arm with Athénaïs's and gave him a look that dared him to disagree.

He threw up his hands in defeat. "Fine. I'll wait until tomorrow and I won't forget."

"Off with you then, monsieur." Gabrielle shooed him away and turned her attention to her sister. "I heard you made a joke about Madame de Sévigné to the king and she didn't appreciate it."

"No one appreciates me joking about them. They can all laugh at each other, but not themselves."

She dropped her voice. "At least you seem to be back to yourself since...well you know." She looked about to make sure no one was listening in. "You're smiling and laughing. Arguing with Lauzun is a sign you've got your wits about you again."

"It was harder than I expected it would be is all. I'm growing more desperate for Louis to love me and unsure of my ability to maintain my position." The consuming need for him to desire her had taken her by surprise. Being mistress no longer felt like enough. She wanted him to prove his love, for him to get rid of her husband permanently.