Chapter 33

Fontanges preened in front of the mirror, a smug look upon her face as Athénaïs dressed her. Once upon a time Louise had done the same thing for Athénaïs to stay in favor.

"Do you think he'll like this outfit?" Fontanges asked as she turned from side to side to view herself while Athénaïs stared at the girl's stomach. The court was alight with gossip over her being pregnant, but no one could say for sure if it was a ploy or real news. The growing bump made her see green with envy. A bastard would help cement Fontanges in the king's heart.

"He'll love it and won't be able to take his eyes off you." Saying it hurt her pride, but Athénaïs didn't flinch. She wondered if Louis knew about the pregnancy yet.

"I'm going to get my brother a new position soon," she bragged. "And the king gave me this dress." She spun in another circle to show it off. "It's as nice as yours. I hope to have more dresses soon. And diamonds." She gave a wistful sigh.

She'd only just started playing friends with the girl and already she was stepping right into the trap. If she continued to preen in front of the king, he'd grow tired of the girl.

Angèlique woke herself from her daydreams with a little shake of her head and grinned. "I'll tell the king how kind you've been."

"Be sure you do." She averted her gaze from the mirror, refusing to show the storm of emotions in her eyes. Angèlique ran a hand over her front, revealing the bump of her stomach. It was enough to confirm Athénaïs's fears. A successful birth would endear Fontanges to the king and he might decide to start a new litter of bastards with her. Then Athénaïs would have nothing left that Fontanges couldn't give him.

"Let's get going before we are late. The king frowns upon lateness," Athénaïs called out in a sing-song voice to hide the fear coursing through her veins.

"Oh, right. Let's hurry." Fontanges gathered up her fan and together, the women headed to the king's apartment. Half the court had already arrived. As soon as they entered the first anteroom, Fontanges stepped away from Athénaïs and headed in on her own. She strutted around like a peacock, bragging about how much attention Athénaïs gave her out of jealousy and the positions she hoped to win for her family.

The room was quieter and emptier than usual, with courtiers speaking in hushed whispers instead of the usual raucous jokes and laughter. All the better for Fontanges to put on the airs of a queen and draw in everyone's attention as she roved the room. Courtiers smiled and greeted her. The men bowed and told her how beautiful she looked while the women watched with eyes of envy.

Maintenon stuck to the walls and shadows of the room, avoiding the spotlight while she scowled and glared at the new favorite. Many courtiers avoided Athénaïs, but she relished watching them avoid Maintenon too. Whenever the king wasn't speaking with Fontanges, he was whispering with his counselors.

Athénaïs waited to pounce on him after he returned from a short disappearance with Colbert. She gave him a curtsey and took stock of the crinkles at the corners of his eyes and the creases in his brow. When she straightened, he gaze ran over her, sizing her up the same way he did with foreign ambassadors and diplomats. Ice lodged in her center as she resisted the urge to cower beneath his gaze. "Your Majesty." She forced her voice to come out strong.

"Madame Montespan. Enjoying your afternoon, I hope?"

"Yes, and all the more now that I'm near you."

Before he could answer Fontanges sauntered up. "Madame Montespan helped me pick out my outfit. Do you like this dress on me?" she said in a sultry voice that made Athénaïs wrinkle her nose.