Chapter 16

When we arrived at the Mannings, James jumped out of the car, walked over to my side, and opened my door, helping me out. I was well aware that all the way there and now even exiting, he was constantly watching me, even hovering, making sure I didn't try anything funny. For much of the ride, I faced toward James so he didn't have to worry about me trying to make eye contact with other vehicles. I so desperately wanted to earn his trust.

We were just outside of Kansas City, in another small town similar to wherever we lived, at least what I knew of it. We were somewhere by a town called Lenexa. Dr. Manning lived in a beautiful, white Victorian home. There were some trees lining the outside perimeter.

"Well, well, well, look at what the cat drug in," Dr. Manning said cheerily at the door. "Come on in, you two. Welcome!"

James squeezed my hand rather firmly and led me into the house.

"Hello, Doc. Thank you for having us," James said. They hugged each other warmly. When the doctor looked at me, his face lit up.

"My dear, don't you look absolutely stunning!"

"Thank you," I said, sheepishly. He gave me a gentle hug. He reminded me so much of my father—wise, warm, and loving. But what alternate universe was this that I could think this man was in anyway comparable to my father?

"Come in, come in!"

The house was magnificent, almost like a museum. The decorum matched the outside of the home and looked as if they hired an interior decorator. A beautiful lady in a flowing formal dress stood by the sofa and patiently waited her turn to welcome her guests. I felt dizzy at the fact a doctor knew I was abducted, living this nice life, and not reporting me. Didn't he care, or was he as psychotic as the others?

"Hello. I'm Sophia," she announced to me.

She took my hand in a warm embrace and kissed my cheek. She was exquisite, so poised and naturally beautiful. Her genuine demeanor and warmth took me aback. She was a perfect match for Dr. Manning, even with the age difference.

"Won't you come in and make yourself comfortable?" she said, offering me a seat on the sofa.

"I'll go unload the car," James said.

I could hear other people talking and laughing in another room. But I was so overwhelmed, it was nice to sit with Sophia and Dr. Manning first.

"How about drinks, dear?" she offered. She seemed so at ease in the role of hostess.

"I'd love a dry martini. Thank you, Love," Dr. Manning said.

"I'll take a glass of wine, please. Any kind." I certainly was not picky. Bring on any alcoholic beverage, please! Thank you so much.

As Sophia fetched our drinks, James came back with the food and headed to the kitchen.

I sat awkwardly with Dr. Manning, making small chat about the drive.

"Can we join this party?" some man yelled at the open door. He was holding a wine bottle up into the air.

"Hello!" Dr. Manning exclaimed.

This had to be the Palmers. I stayed glued to the couch while the usual joyous hugs and exclamations ensued. James and Sophia came out as well and joined the greetings.

Just as they all separated from their big welcoming circle, the little girl was standing in the middle of the mob. She smiled and giggled, thanks to James tickling her.