Chapter 21

True to his word, I didn't see James again until New Year's Eve, around 5:00 p.m. I was beginning to give up hope. Maybe he had forgotten or changed his mind.

Suddenly the apartment came to life when the door swung open, and James bounced in, talking loudly and carrying a bunch of grocery bags. In an instant I felt alive again. Someone turned on the switch.

"Boy, you brought the whole store." I laughed, a little too loudly.

"I sure did," James smiled. My heart skipped a beat to see him again. "So, on the menu for this evening is steak and grilled shrimp."

"Mmmm, sounds good to me," I replied.

James opened a bottle of Merlot and poured me a glass.

James and I worked as a team preparing the food, like we used to, decades ago. It felt so good to be back together again, even if it wasn't exactly the same. But he seemed more comfortable with me than he was at Christmas dinner. It was definitely progress, and I was ecstatic for any bit of improvement.

After dinner we watched a movie and played poker. By the second bottle of wine, I felt much more comfortable, as if the bad history had melted away. The night was progressing well, and I was determined not to make any more mistakes. This was the new and improved Corrine. The Perfect Corrine.

At midnight we watched the New York City ball drop on TV, James holding my hand, and we counted down. When it hit midnight, we hugged one another, and James gave me a kiss on the cheek.

Then James stood up and picked up his glass. "Let's do a toast," he announced.

So I picked up my glass as well and stood.

James began, "I would like to make a simple toast." He raised his glass even higher. "To new beginnings."

"To new beginnings," I repeated.

And with that we clanked our glasses together and drank.

I looked at James, and he winked at me. I knew then he was letting me back into his heart, one last time.

* * *

I had been working out and eating right for about two months since living in Kansas. By then, I was beginning to fit in the size eight clothing James bought for me, although it was all a bit too snug. But it felt satisfying to even be able to fit into them. I hadn't been that small since high school, and I had let myself go ever since. I had focused on my studies and then my job in CPS.

But now, it was all different. Physically I felt great, an all-new body. I rarely enjoyed the workouts, and I especially missed all of my fatty foods and sweets. All of this healthy eating was a drag, but I was getting used to it. It was a small price to pay for feeling energized and healthy.

James let me borrow some health and nutrition books of his, and I really enjoyed them. One cookbook included many delicious recipes disguised as healthy. I cooked some of them for the two of us, and eating right didn't seem as much of a chore. James even liked them, which was saying a lot with my cooking abilities—or lack thereof.

During dinner in the middle of January, James said, "Corrine, would you be interested in attending a party?"

"What kind of party?"

"A B.F.O. friend is throwing a winter gala."

"Oh? What is that, exactly?"

"It's a formal party he throws every year."