Chapter 3

Hermione was lying in her bed, on her back, lazily shooting purple sparks into the air above her. She was currently trying to fight back the voice within her that pleaded with her to stay away from Malfoy's horcrux. Hermione had just wanted a few years of peace and quiet. Though she loved Harry and Ron and would have done anything to help vanquish Voldemort, she felt that her years at Hogwarts were turbulent and were overshadowed by many feelings other than peace and rest. Hermione had only just gotten her life alone started. After the battle there was another year of school, and then the break up happened. Getting her job at the ministry wasn't easy, and she was still struggling to gain a foothold. She had only recently gotten on good terms with her parents, seeing as they were very angry about being obliviated and relocated to Australia. Hermione felt like she hadn't gotten the peace and quiet she craved.

Hermione felt very nervous agreeing to help Malfoy. She wasn't sure how large of a commitment she had just made. Would this wizard have multiple horcruxes? Would there be people actively fighting against her? No matter how hard she thought about it, she couldn't get around the fact that she had just made a huge risk, and she wasn't sure if she could even trust Malfoy yet. Is it possible that I could? Hermione hadn't seen him in five years. She didn't know if his moral compass pointed in a more reliable direction than it had during the war. Hermione sighed a great sigh. I'm going to have to go through with this, won't I?

~~~***~~~

Draco strode into Gringotts with a large bag of galleons to deposit from the shop. Coming to Gringotts still made him uncomfortable. He could feel the goblins leering at him, knowing they only saw the raging discrimination that his father had left behind him. However, Draco knew that if you looked confident enough you can get away with almost anything. He reattached his practiced sneer and approached Griphook's station, where he was weighing silver bars on a scale. It was common knowledge among those close to the wizarding war that Griphook was crooked.

"Ah, yes, Mr. Malfoy. What can I do for you?" Griphook grumbled.

Draco leaned closer and spoke in a whisper. "I bought the contents of vault 2056 at auction two days ago. I was wondering if you could tell me the previous owner of the vault."

"I'm afraid that is against Gringott's privacy policy," Griphook said, returning to his task, seeming uninterested in Draco at all.

Draco looked around, then removed a set of goblin-made candlestick holders from his bag and slid them right in front of Griphook's long nose. Griphook picked them up, lowering his small glasses in front of his eyes so he could further inspect the candlesticks. "It looks like you need to visit your vault," Griphook nodded towards the bag. "Let me escort you. Key please." Draco handed the goblin his key, and Griphook disappeared into the small room behind his desk. I hope he's checking the files for 2056, Draco mused. Griphook's delay was causing a seed of hope to flower within his chest.

When Griphook emerged, they both boarded the cart that took them to Draco's personal vault. Griphook placed his hand on the door and the security enchantments melted away. They both entered, and the door of the vault slammed shut.

"We're safe discussing this now, Mr. Malfoy. The owner of that vault? His name is Quirinus Quirrell. He rented the vault for the express purpose of putting everything from a year-long trip into that vault. We haven't seen him return to the vault since he came. He didn't register any next of kin or family members to his vault, which is probably why the vault went to auction after not being accessed at all in twelve years."

"Quirrell? Quirrell owned that vault? The old Hogwarts professor? That makes no sense." Draco was taken aback and had to take a seat on a large storage box that sat nearby. The walls felt like they were closing in on him.