Chapter 10

Hermione had never practiced magic in another country before. While she had visited France in the summer once, she never participated in the world of witchcraft there. But Albania had a shockingly different attitude about magic than England. Simply put, magic was everywhere. The Statute of Secrecy must have been regarded more as suggestion because the witches and wizards in the streets made no effort to hide their otherness from the muggles, and the muggles didn't even bat an eye at the sight of their obvious otherworldly appearance. While the witches and wizards didn't practice magic in the streets, wands were seen, owls flew past, robes were worn regularly, and magical shops were not hidden. It was almost like living in Diagon Alley, except dentists and accounants had offices side by side with spellbook and potion ingredient retailers. Being in the most magical country in the world must have produced the highest concentration of witches and wizards, Hermione though. And the most acceptance from muggles.

The magical library in Tirana wasn't difficult to find, as it had its own real estate. It was housed in a small red brick building on a small and average cobblestone-paved street. Upon entering it was obvious that an impressive undetectable extension charm had been applied to the whole building. The library took Hermione's breath away. It put the ministry library to absolute shame. The shelves extended in length as far as the eye could see, the bookshelves had their own horizon. Each book expanded when you removed it from the shelf and shrunk when replaced to house a maximum number of books. The library had even adapted the muggle Dewey Decimal system to accommodate a heftier organizational system required to manage the sheer volume of books. This is it, thought Hermione, This is where I'm meant to be. I'm never leaving.

Draco had already made a beeline to the nearest shelf, his finger running along the spines. Hermione was about to join him before a house elf apparated at her side with a muffled pop.

"Madam," the elf gestured in submission. "How may I help you today?"

Hermione couldn't stop herself. "I—they do pay you here, don't they?"

The elf gave her a disapproving look. "It is a privilege to work inside such a vast store of knowledge," The elf croaked, looking insulted.

Hermione opened her mouth in an attempt to backpedal.

Draco, sensing a predicament, strode over to Hermione, quickly grabbing her elbow as he steered a stammering Hermione away towards a table. "I'm sure the elves like it here just fine," Draco reassured. "I'm sure they get treated much more civilly here than anywhere else." Draco cringed as he remembered his own transgressions against Dobby. He refrained from recalling how his father treated Dobby. Father bullied anything that lived and breathed, Draco thought, Including me. Draco tried not to think about the time he encountered a boggart in the Room of Requirement during his sixth year. It had taken the form of his father. It had taken Draco an hour to banish.

They sat at a dark wooden table. "We need to strategize about what to study," Draco said, taking out paper and quill. "I was thinking that we should study the areas in Albania that are likely to have a kulshedra. We can use maps to find the isolated, forested parts of the country. That might help us know which villages we may want to visit."

Hermione nodded in agreement. "Good idea. I guess I'll study more about the nature of the kulshedra. Maybe I'll read some myths and see where that might get us." Hermione then gave him a pointed look. "Just don't use the house elf."

Draco attempted and failed to hide his smile. "I'm guessing this is something I shouldn't get you started ranting on," he said. "I might have even ignored it if I don't find it funny to wind you up."

"You wizards just don't understand. Slavery is wrong and is illegal in most forms everywhere else in the world. As people with magic we should be more responsible than to enslave other races of magical beings." Hermione huffed, exasperated. "But for some reason all wizards think that just because something lets them have power over them that means—" Hermione stopped and glowered when she noticed that Draco was just sitting with his hands over his mouth, trying not to laught. "Everyone thinks house elves like being enslaved, which is a ridiculous idea, I swear, both you and Ron have—"