Born To Die

lyrics:
_

feet don't fail me now
take me to the finish line
oh, my heart it breaks every step that I take
but I'm hoping at the gates
they'll tell me that you're mine

walking through the city streets
is it by mistake or design?
I feel so alone on the Friday nights
can you make it feel like home
if I tell you you're mine?

it's like I told you, honey....

don't make me sad
don't make me cry
sometimes love is not enough
and the road gets tough
I don't know why

keep making me laugh
let's go get high
the road is long
we'll carry on
try to have fun in the meantime...

come take a walk on the wild side
let me kiss you hard in the pouring rain
you like your girls insane

choose your last words
this is the last time
'cause you and I
we were born to die.

lost but now I am found
I can see but once I was blind
I was so confused as a little child
trying to take what I could get
scared that I couldn't find
all the answers, honey

_

analysis:

Lana Del Rey 's thoughts

It is described by her as a homage to true love and a tribute to living life on the wild side.

(an interview with MTV on the theme of the music video)

For Born To Die, I wrote a treatment for it called The Lonely Queen, so that I would be in a setting that represented heaven, sort of like in a remote castle in Romania. Walking through the halls flanked by tigers. And then she'd be flashing back to happier times in the arms of her love. And then Yoann Lemoine adapted that treatment and made it more doable. But I love that video. I really do. I can't believe it turned out so beautifully. I spent a lot of time thinking about where I wanted it to go. "

(an interview with Fuse on the album - awaiting the debut release)

" I've been working on it for a year and I love my producer and the sound of the record. Even though it has a lot of buzz, the record lives up to it. It's gorgeous. It just has a good mix of beats and I've been working with the Philadelphia Orchestra so there are beautiful, lush string sections. I know exactly what it's going to sound like."

(Lana Del Rey on why she wrote the song for VH1 interview)

"I just wondered why we were here and was sort of consumed by the fact that everyone was gonna leave this planet. Then when I fell in love for the first time it was just really inspirational. It's a good mix - knowing that you're born to die but also being excited by true love with fleeting moments of happiness."

(a MySpace interview in 2013 on how Lana finds love)

" I look for someone who makes me feel like life is an exciting opportunity. Someone who makes me feel electric. But in general, it's just nice to be loving and have others around you who are loving too."

my thoughts

Born To Die is the first track and title track of Lana Del Rey's debut LP, released on the 27th January 2012. Musically, the song is steadily slow, starting with a rush of strings, serving for a melodramatic opening as a heavy, deliciously powerful beat booms soon afterwards. A man's voice can be heard shouting in the background behind Lana whispering "why, who me?" which symbolise her complete despairing sadness and perplexity at why life has dealt her these cards. The song is most likely written after a very painful breakup, and the initial feelings that comes along with it such as deep sense of misery, loss and confusion.

in the first verse, Lana is writing about the pain she experiences while going through this breakup. by using the metaphor of running a race, she is comparing her life and how her success as made her. she feels as if she's been running a marathon with the fame, and during this relationship she isn't ready to deal with the pain. her mind is already in the emotional suffering but her body isn't prepared to deal with it, and so she feels weary and tired from the sadness.

the song itself, not unlike many of Del Rey's songs, are written in a bluesy style echoing the misery and loss of a breakup. this song in particular however, is written about the same man who she writes about in other singles Video Games and Blue Jeans.