Million Dollar Man

lyrics:

you said I was the most exotic flower
holding me tight in our final hour

I don't know how you convince them and get them
I don't know how you do
it's unbelievable but
and I don't know how you get over, get over
someone as dangerous, tainted and flawed as you

one for the money
two for the show
I love you, honey
I'm ready, I'm ready to go

how do you get that way?
I don't know...
you're screwed up and brilliant
look like a million dollar man
so why is my heart broke?

you've got the world
but baby, at what price?
something so strange
hard to define

it isn't that hard boy, to like you or love you
I'd follow you down, down, down
you're unbelievable
if you're going crazy just grab me and take me
I'd follow you down, down, down
anywhere, anywhere

analysis:

my thoughts

Million Dollar Man is the tenth song off Lana Del Rey's first LP Born To Die. The song was written by Del Rey and Chris Braide. The song starts with a slow drumming very similar to the start of a song on her then future record called Money Power Glory, which coincidentally, was also centred around the subject of money.

The song is slow, sexy and dark sounding, with Lana singing soulfully and seductively into the mic with a deep, bluesy voice. She writes in a romantic flirt, saying, "if you're going crazy, just grab me and take me." A call for a lover whom she is passionate about. Possibly this is another song about the gangster boyfriend mentioned in Off To The Races, her love still seemingly hopeless yet eternal, or for another older man, who's old money.

"you look like a million dollar man, so why is my heart broke?"
There is a saying that people use to compliment each other which is "you look like a million dollars." Lana could be telling him he's handsome and looking expensive, and that ironically he is also very rich, but also pairing it with the play on words "why is my heart broke?" Broke could mean two things here. One: she is using the word "broke" to mean poor and having little to no money, which has become a slang word for poor over the last couple of decades. Two: she could be literally asking why her heart is broken. This man may have left her or treated her wrongly, and she is crying passionately and questioning why she is so sad and feeling broken when she is with someone who she loves more than anything, who is still making her feel this way.