CHAPTER TWENTY

"Well, would you look at that."

A torch, two rifles and a shotgun point at me, and the spot between my eyes is the focal point for all but one. And speaking of eyes, the bloody torch wants to burn holes into my retinas.

"Get the torch out of my eyes," I say, and turn my head the same time the torch light goes out. Instead, an even brighter light focusses on me, and when I stop seeing dark spots, I turn to see a motorbike hiding behind it.

"Charli, my Charli." The words are sing-song, a nickname, and despite myself, my lips curl up slightly. And so do many, many memories.

"Jai." I step off the porch and approach the motorbike, stepping to the side so I'm not blinded by its headlight.

Jai's older than me by a couple of years, and he's a unit to say the least. I think he's about 6'1, 6'2, and he's solidly built. Like, he might've been training to be a bodybuilder before the world went to shit, and he's kept the build despite everything. He's imposing. As an enemy, he's not just a good shot you need to look out for; he's lethal in a fistfight. He's busted a brick wall with his fist. True story.

Two guys stand nearby, rifles at the ready. They're probably twins, with their similar builds and heights and stances. But I pay them no attention.

Jai reaches for me, and when I'm close enough, he grabs my face and kisses me. It's both familiar and unfamiliar. I pull away from him before it can mean something else. "I thought you were coming alone."

"Plans change."

"We had a deal."

"They change as well."

"Not with me." I take a step back. "This–" I gesture between him and me. "Doesn't work unless we're alone. You know that. That's why I agreed to it. You even suggested it."

Jai watches me with narrowed eyes. It slowly dawns on him that he might not get what he wants – that he came all this way for nothing. "As I said: things change."

"You knew how I'd react before you even came here – so why are you here?" I glance over my shoulder at one of the twins, who refuses to make eye contact. Then it dawns on me. "What did you promise them?" I ask as I whirl back around to him. "What did you say?"

"What do you think?"

"If it's what I'm thinking, then you can get the fuck out of here."

Even though I've backed away from him, it's not enough; I've forgotten how far his reach is. He grabs my arm before I can properly get away.

"Ignore those two," Jai says. He lowers his voice. "I'll give you what you want if you give me what I want."

I pull against him but get nowhere. "No, you give me what I want because you haven't upheld your end of the deal."

His fingers dig painfully into my skin. "So you're basically telling me I came all this way for nothing."

Somehow I manage to break free from his hold and take a step back, the night more claustrophobic and humid than cool and mind-numbing. In my haste to put some distance between us, I slip on the grass and my foot slides into a divot. Something in my ankle goes with it, and it takes all my energy not to reveal an injury. So, I right myself and swear, which in itself doesn't help anyone.

"I got your message three days ago and it's taken me that long to get here – and you're telling me that you don't want my help anymore?"

Jai's pissed, which I would be too if I was in his situation. But he put himself there, not me. He knows the terms of our dealings. "You know what I'm like," I say. I right myself and stand with my feet shoulder-width apart. Which isn't good, because my leg just about buckles beneath me. I grit my teeth. "You know the terms," I continue. "So don't get all pissy with me."