Merthur oneshot #3

*Words in itallics are thoughts*

Merlin rode his horse, following Arthur's through the forest. They were going at a steady, boring pace while Gwaine rambled non-stop to anyone who would listen, which was nobody in particular. But he kept talking regardless, much to everyone's displeasure. He was finishing up another 'enthralling' tavern tale of how he knocked out some bloke for stealing a swig out of his ale, when Merlin nudged his horse forward to walk alongside Arthur's. Luckily for Gwaine, he still had the other knights to annoy- ahem- chat to, and he was more than pleased to start on another story. Meanwhile, Merlin occasionally glanced toward Arthur, who's face showed no emotion besides dwindling patience and deep thought.

"Arthur? What's troubling you? Is it Gwain's non-stop tales?" Merlin inquired, hoping to cheer Arthur up and perhaps poke fun at him. Arthur blinked out of his straight-faced trance and looked at Merlin with confusion.

"Are you okay?" Merlin asked again, concerned.

"I'm fine. Just... Thinking."

"Don't try too hard, we wouldn't want you to hurt yourself," Merlin said, flashing Arthur one of his playful grins. Arthur scoffed, attempting to hide the smile that was threatening to spread across his face. Seeing Arthur cheer up comforted Merlin's worry, and they rode along in comfortable silence. Well... Almost silence; Gwain was still chatting behind them.

-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-

When they arrived back in Camelot after the hunting trip, Gwen was waiting for them in the courtyard. Or, more specifically, waiting for Arthur. They slowed their horses to a stop and dismounted as she met them with a smile on her face. Merlin smiled back at his friend even though it wasn't directed specifically toward him, and continued to smile awkwardly at the ground as she went straight to Arthur. She welcomed him back, and Merlin noticed Arthur grasp her hand, squeeze, then let go. Even though it was only for a short moment, Merlin felt his heart drop to the pit of his stomach, and sad thoughts blossomed in his mind.

That will never be me.

He will never look at me that way. He has eyes only for Gwen, and she is wonderful enough to deserve him.

I am nothing but a servant.

I will never be good enough to capture Arthur's heart...

Arthur's voice roused him from his dark thoughts, "Merlin, are you listening to me?"

"Yes, sire."

"Then get on with it."

"With... What?"

Arthur sighed.

"For the last time, I need you to launder my clothing, clean my chambers, and the stables could do with a good mucking-out."

"Yes, sire," Merlin said quietly before dismissing himself, not looking Arthur in the eye.

-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-_*-

After he finished mucking out the nasty stables and changing into cleaner clothing, Merlin made his way up to Arthur's spacious room to clean Arthur's putrid laundry; after all, Arthur would have his backside if he didn't clean his favorite white undershirt in time for the knighting ceremony tomorrow. Just the mere thought of Arthur made his cheeks get uncomfortably warm.

No, no, no, no, none of that. You must not think of your king with that kind of affection. You're being such a girl! If he ever found out your feelings for him, he would have your head chopped off!

Merlin skirted around another servant who was carrying a large armful of unidentifiable cloth that smelled faintly of lavender. Merlin finally arrived outside Arthur's chamber doors, and hesitated a moment to catch his breath before gently pushing the door open so he could enter.