Merthur #4

The first delicate rays of the morning shone through the window in Merlin's room, illuminating the small particles of dust gliding peacefully in the light's path. As the sun rose higher, the beams of light settled over Merlin's closed eyes, waking him from his sleep. He opened his eyes to have them blinded from the inconvenient placement of the light.

"Ugggh...." He said as he turned over away from the intruding morning.

It's time to wake the Royal prat. You have to get up.
Just a few more moments to lay here...

No! Wake up, Merlin!

After laying for a few more moments contemplating his life, Merlin finally got up and dressed himself for the long day of serving Arthur. He decided on his purple shirt, his red neckerchief, and his usual (and only) jacket, trousers, and boots. He quickly combed his fingers through his hair as he left his room, greeting Gaius on his way out. Merlin ducked through the kitchens and grabbed Arthur's breakfast, starting the inconvienent
ascent up the staircase on the way to Arthur's chambers.

When he entered the chambers, Merlin quietly placed the platter of food on Arthur's dining table, and turned to the bed to wake him. Instead of the usual mumbling lump under the sheets, his eyes landed on an empty bed. The covers were strewn and twisted over the mattress as if Arthur had a struggle releasing himself from his warm prison. Surprised at not seeing Arthur, Merlin cast his eyes around the spacious room.

Where could he have gone? He doesn't have anything planned this morning.

A small noise scuffled from behind the dressing curtain, capturing Merlin's attention.

"Arthur..?" He called out.

Suddenly, Arthur's head pops out from behind the curtain.

"Ah. Merlin."

"You're awake," Merlin noted.

"Yes."

Arthur stepped out, seemingly fully dressed, and headed for his table, obviously happy at the sight of his food. As he walked past, Merlin noticed the back of his shirt was untucked and flipped up, showing off his lower back. He had evidently picked his black shirt, the color contrasting with his exposed skin, making Arthur's poor attempt at dressing himself more noticeable to the onlooker. Merlin stifled a chuckle as Arthur sat down and started on his breakfast, unaware of his mistake.

He looks best in the red shirt, but I suppose the black one is fine.

"How did you sleep last night, Arthur?"

"Fine."

"That's good," Merlin responded, starting to fix the hurricane of sheets, fitting them back onto Arthur's bed.

"Yeah, need to keep my energy up for tormenting you, though I could do it in my sleep" Arthur joked, glad to have Merlin's company.

"I highly doubt that. You are incompetant awake, nevertheless asleep," Merlin said, flashing Arthur his signature grin before returning to his work.

"You are so..." Arthur flustered, pointing his fork at him.

Merlin looked up at Arthur innocently, as Arthur simply shook his head at him, at a loss of words. Their eyes locked for a long moment, Arthur's sky-blue eyes mesmerizing Merlin. They reminded him of a partly-cloudy summer sky, full of the wonders and adventures of a child's imagination, yet still mature and polished.

I could loose myself in his eyes for eternity.

Realizing he was staring, Merlin blinked and adverted his gaze.

"Is there anything else, sire?"

Arthur looked away and cleared his throat.

"Uh- no, you're good to leave, Merlin."

As he left, Merlin accidentally brushed his arm against Arthur as he passed him, sending tingles down his arm to his fingertips. He stepped through the wooden doors, glancing back toward Arthur with a slight, kind smile on his face. It was just for a second, and so quick that Arthur could've missed it, but he didn't. He had been watching Merlin as he left, longing in his eyes.

* yay! Another one! I decided to do one that was more about the tension of their feelings towards each other than anything else. Love isn't just about kissing! *