Chapter 4

"You want me to fall back in love with you? How do I do that when I haven’t ever stopped?"

- The Best of Me, in theaters this Friday

Chapter 4

“Charm? Wow, you look really different!” Aidan exclaimed, looking at Charmeine’s old picture and comparing it to how she looks like right now.

Charmeine let out a short laugh and rolled her eyes, “It’s only been a year since we saw each other, Aidan. I don’t think I look that different. Just lost a few pounds or so!”

Well… she lost more than a few pounds, but whatever! He’s a guy; he doesn’t need to know the exact pounds she lost; that’s embarrassing.

“How have you been?” Aidan asked, feeling like a total dickhead for even forgetting about her.

Well, he means, who could blame him? She looks completely different! She’s way thinner than before – making her face accentuate her brown eyes even more. Not that she was never cute, but she’s definitely still attractive to him.

It’s just that… she looks really different. Though, he can’t tell if this is a good thing or a bad thing…

Charmeine hesitated for a second before smiling again with a shrug, “Good! I’ve been good.”

He gave a quick look around himself before lowering his voice and edging closer to her, “And.. you know…your uncle? Is he still bothering you?”

“Charmeine!”

The two of them turned around to see one of her supervisors striding towards her.

“Sweetie, we’re about to get hit by the big dinner rush, do you mind taking this side of the location until things start to die down?” The lady asked, pointing towards the other side of the restaurant.

Charmeine inwardly rolled her eyes but let out a forced smile. “Yeah, sure, Miss Danita! That’s fine.”

Miss Danita flashed her a quick smile before running around again to the next worker, while Charmeine turned back to Aidan with a grimace.

“You could have said no?” He said, in a sympathizing tone.

She shook her head, “And risk getting a reprimand? No thanks.”

“We wouldn’t want that.” Aidan smiled, feeling giddy inside all of sudden. “Now that I know you work here, I should just visit you more often.”

“Stalker.” She closed her notepad and let out a deep sigh. “Well I guess I have to start doing my work, Aidan.”

“Shall I see you soon?” Aidan asked quickly, inwardly snapping at himself for looking too overly attached.

She gave him a shy smile, both shaking her head and shrugging the same time. “I don’t know.”

Before Aidan could say anything back, she turned around and walked away from him; looking back only once with a full grin and a bright blush gracing her cheeks.

“That was so painfully awkward to watch, I might throw up.” Drake roughly said a few seconds later, making Aidan jump.

“Dad!” Aidan groaned, as he watched him sit beside him and his mother and sister sitting across from them. “How long were you guys behind me?”

“Long enough to know that you want to see her soon.” Stacey teased him, batting her eyelashes at him.

Aidan threw her a dirty look, causing her to give him a kissy face back.