Chapter Eight

Westman couldn't sleep. He was tired, certainly, but his mind wouldn't switch off, so he found himself back at the table, pouring himself a brandy from Jim's decanter. Blinks was asleep on the sofa, his feet propped up, displaying his holey stockings. The servant had dozed off within seconds, but Westman was not so fortunate. Something troubled him.

Jim Penderry had dealt with werewolves, ghosts and demons and always emerged more or less unscathed after each encounter. The man hunted some of the vilest creatures imaginable, so what had gone wrong? What dangerous foe had he stumbled upon this time? A wealthy lord who dabbled in the occult hardly seemed a deadly threat.

Westman knew he must go to the source to learn more. Perhaps the answer lay at Crowthorne Towers, but tomorrow he would pay a visit to his skinny young acquaintance, Tabitha, at Toop's Fashion Emporium. If she knew anything about the mysterious Lord Crowthorne, she would tell him. After all, he had saved her from Creeping Clem.

While he sipped his drink, he allowed his thoughts to turn to the other matter that bothered him; Sophie. She was very persistent, but there was no chance he'd let her interfere further in the investigation. It was for her own safety, never mind Jim forbidding him to step within a yard of her and George. Yes, there would be no more outings with Freddie Westman.

He became aware of Blinks' grating snores, and considered throwing a cushion at him, when a sudden scream chilled his blood. On impulse, he leapt to his feet. Blinks awoke with a start and knocked a porcelain vase from its pedestal. It hit the ground with a smash.

"Damnation, Blinks. That's coming out of your wage!"

"Sorry, sir." The servant looked around in a daze.

In the next moment, Sophie Penderry came hurtling into the library - in her undergarments, no less – with a blanket billowing around her shoulders. Westman's eyebrows shot skyward in surprise when she flung herself directly into his arms, rendering him speechless.

"In the guest room, in the guest room!" she cried into his waistcoat. "It's hideous."

"Steady on, Miss Penderry." He recovered his voice and patted her back. She was hysterical. "What is it? A spider? A rat?"

She pulled her head back and peered up at him with wet eyes. "No! Nothing so trivial. There's something in the bed. It's huge and frightful. Some sort of hideous wild beast. You of all people must believe me."

"I believe you." He looked over at Blinks who was gawping at them. "Blinks, quickly, bring my things."

"Aye, sir." Blinks dropped his tatty old tri-corn onto his head and hurried warily down the stairs.

Westman arranged the blanket back around her cold shoulders. "A wild beast, you say?"

"Yes." She sniffed and blinked, hugging him so tight he felt her heart racing.

"Don't worry," he said, keeping an alert eye on the corridor. "All will be well."

The sound of his heavy bag being dragged up the staircase made him wince. "Wait here."

He helped Blinks haul the bag up the last remaining steps and strode back into the library with it. Sophie watched him set the large holdall down then open it to withdraw his father's naval sword. It had been forged during the reign of the Prince Regent - bordering on antique, he supposed - but the blade was still sharp and it had never failed him; or his father for that matter. After a rummage through spell books and other equipment, he found a second foil which he passed to Blinks.

Westman unsheathed the sword from its scabbard and turned to Sophie. "Which room is it?"

"The last door on the left."