Chapter Twenty One

Two weeks later

"Listen, Jim, it's been a long time. I don't know why things ended the way they did, but-"

Jim's tone hardened. "Oh, really? After all this time, you still don't understand?"

"Understand what?"

"You stole Millicent from me, man."

Westman blinked, stunned by the accusation. It was the most absurd thing he'd ever heard. "What?"

"I never had her heart. Not completely."

"Are you addled in the head? Millicent loves me about as much as she loves the small pox. You idiot." Westman clenched his fists in frustration. "Do you really mean to tell me that you cut me off for two years because of a woman? Millicent was all set to marry you. She waited all day at the chapel for you."

"Of course she would have gone through with it. She's too good to go back on her word." He didn't need to say what he was thinking. His expression alone said, 'Unlike me'. "Don't you see? I couldn't go ahead and marry her, not when I doubted her love."

"Madness."

"We worked closely, the three of us. There were times when she looked at you... Well, the evidence was there."

"In your imagination perhaps," he retorted, but then sympathy for his friend surfaced. "Millicent loved you. Only you."

Jim was silent for a long moment, absorbing his words. "Well, I know that now. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it? Still," his mood lightened, "I'm over her now. It was a long time ago, as you said."

Westman stared at him, amazed by his fickleness. Resentment was swept away like an oppressive curtain. But then, being unpredictable had always been Jim's nature. He watched him adjust the trophy on the wall above the library fireplace and folded his arms.

"There," said Jim, stepping back to join him. He set his hands on his waist and admired his achievement. "Stunning. I knew it would fit perfectly in here. Look, Freddie. I'm sorry, truly I am. What are your thoughts on second chances?"

"I'm open minded. But Millicent is the one you should be apologising to."

"You're right, and I shall apologise to her. Can we put this behind us?"

"Nothing would please me more." Westman agreed, then he stared at the mounted wolf head on the wall and wrinkled his nose. "I hope you aren't planning to entertain female company in here. That thing will put them in a dead faint."

"Nonsense. Besides, I never entertain ladies in the library. What a suggestion." Jim grinned and picked up a pile of letters from the desk. "Look at this. I'm away for a couple weeks and every leech in London is claiming I owe them money. And someone's been drinking my brandy." He shot a look at the decanter on the sideboard. "Barely a drop left. Blasted servants. While the master's away, eh? And one of them broke a vase."

Westman took a seat. "Was it expensive?"

"Worthless. No, wait. Or was it priceless? I don't recall."

"How is your ward?"

"Felicity? It was a temporary arrangement. I was asked to keep her hidden. And now the danger has passed, the Shadow Assembly have taken her back."

"What will become of her?"

"She'll be provided for. They'll find her a good family. I'm the worst sort of person to raise a child, you know that."

"How is George getting on at the new school?"