1

Harry's POV

It was September 10th 1996 and I was strolling through the castle after hours, enjoying the alone time it gave me.

It allowed me piece and quiet along with time to think. I often thought about my home life and what situation I was in there. As far as I knew, it was what I deserved. The normal thing for orphans to go through. I didn't know any other orphans other than poor Neville who didn't really class as one if you think about it because both his parents are alive, just clinically insane. Which, to be fair is just as bad.

On this day, I had decided to be dangerous and go flying in the dark. This wasn't a good idea to begin with. Then, you add a reckless boy who is very accident prone, it becomes a worse idea. Especially alone.

This day, I must've been even more unlucky than usual.

I was flying and cheering, as one does when they're flying through the air on a magic broomstick, when I got the incredibly bright idea to do a triple loop-the-loop into a nose dive from over ninety feet in the air and pull up as close as I could to the ground.

This, as it turns out, was not a great idea. It was one of my worst yet. After pulling up, I ended up going vertically towards the stars. Once around fifty feet from the ground, I fell, and fell, and fell for what seemed like hours.

I hit the ground in slow motion, my broom falling right next to me. Instantly, I screamed in pain before passing out.

The pain was worse than anything I had ever felt before. It started in my back and spread through my legs, to the tips of my toes in sharp shoots of pain for the few seconds I was awake to feel it.

I awoke surrounded by bright white in an unfamiliar environment. Then it hit me. I was in St Mungo's. I had fallen over fifty feet and passed out.

Trying to get out of bed, I found I couldn't move my legs. I panicked and yelled.

"Sir, calm down. Calm down Mr Potter!" The stern voice of a healer yelled and I looked up.

I was met by grey-blue eyes that were staring at me sternly. I recognised them.

"Mrs Malfoy?" I asked, confused.

She nodded. "This is volunteer work I do every week. I enjoy spending time caring for people. Now, Mr Potter. I am supposed to deliver you some grave news."

I gulped. "W-what is it? Is it why I can't move?"

Again, she nodded. "You were found early in the morning by Hagrid I believe. He carried you inside the castle to which Madame Pomfrey decided it was out of her capabilities as a school healer to preform operations. You were transferred here and while the operation went well in the sense that you didn't die, the same couldn't be said for the use of your legs. I'm afraid they're paralysed. You'll have to use a muggle contraption to move. There is no way for us to be able to gain the usage of your legs back."

I couldn't help it. I started sobbing uncontrollably. No one would want to be friends with someone who couldn't even walk. Everyone would hate me. I'd just hold their needs back. I wouldn't be able to do even half of the things they could.

Quidditch, running, messing around in the snow, going for midnight strolls in the dark, quiet castle. These were only some of the things I couldn't do.

Suddenly, the door burst open. Sirius, Remus and Hermione ran through.

Hermione pulled me into a hug, followed by Remus and eventually Sirius.

"Oh Harry! I've been so worried about you. I can't say the same for Ronald, however. You've been out for a week and when we heard what was wrong, Ron decided that he didn't want to be associated with someone who can't... you know..." Hermione trailed off.