Chapter 5

22 November 1914

What soldiers are now calling the Battle of Ypres is finally over. We have come to a peace due to the harsh upcoming winter. I am relieved. The Germans are moving their focus to Russia and the Eastern Front.

Ned's body was never recovered. Richard is taking his death hard. They were good friends, as I understand, and it pains me to see his grief. Jacob is quiet about his own grief, but I can tell that he is still far from recovering, and rightly so. I cannot imagine coming home to find my family killed in an attack, and I suppose it would be my choice to fight those who killed them. 

25 November 1914

Henry, I am so sorry to hear about your friend Ned. I don't know how you manage to bear everything you have seen. You say you enjoy it, but I think I should hate it there. I suppose I'm only going to make you feel worse by saying so. But don't blame yourself, brother. Keep yourself safe. I love you.

I am grateful that the battle is over, though my worry has not gone away. I have found a job at a munitions factory, for as much as I wish to stay away from the war, it is becoming quite inevitable and we are in need of the money. Such jobs have only recently become open to women, as so many positions are left open by men who became soldiers.

Love,

Elizabeth

17 December 1914

Dearest Henry,

I wish you a happy Christmas, though England is in an uproar to-day due to a shocking event yesterday. Round eight in the morning North Yorkshire was attacked by German bomb-shells, killing at least a hundred people and injuring many others. It is the first time the Central Powers have attacked the British mainland, though I fear not the last. How long shall it be before such attacks reach us in Kent? I hated the idea of your going to war, but it seems that we who remain at home are also in danger. I fear for our country and for you. The war was predicted to be over quickly, but it seems it will not be so. Stay safe, brother.

Elizabeth

20 December 1914

Elizabeth and the newspapers have informed me that the English mainland has been bombed. This ought to make me believe that our job here is all the more important, and that it is our duty to defeat the Germans. But I have heard the generals discussing their plans to retaliate in the same way, sending bombs of our own to attack German civilians. We are no better than they. 

I feel a bit guilty for lying to Elizabeth. I have told her that I enjoy life as a soldier, for she was the one who warned me of the dangers, and I know that she would worry if she knew the truth. 

25 December 1914 —Christmas

An unofficial Christmas truce was declared today. A group of German soldiers approached us and wished us a happy Christmas in English and French. We at first feared a trap, but after finding them unarmed we met them and joined in a holiday celebration consisting of the exchange of food, drink and cigarettes, as well as caroling. Several men even played a game of football. It was unlike anything I had ever seen: men once ready to fight and kill one another, drinking and singing and rejoicing as though at a Christmas party at home.

Jacob and Richard refused to take part in any celebration with the Germans; the one, I am sure, thinking of his family, and the other of his friend. I was hesitant at first, but as the day went on I joined the celebrating soldiers in their drinking, smoking and singing.

I hope that Elizabeth and my parents are having a happy Christmas. I miss Elizabeth more than ever. 

27 December 1914