Chapter 9

20 May 1915

Henry,

I write this hoping to God that you will live to read it. I don't know how much you remember, but this morning we were on the defensive and an artillery shot hit us head-on. I was farther from the shot and my injuries were minimal, but you took shrapnel to the chest and right side. It was a miracle you didn't bleed out before I got you to the infirmary.

You are unconscious now, and Margot says the danger is not past. They do not know if you will live. Margot sent a report describing your injuries home to your family. I don't know why I even write this, because if you wake I can tell you all this myself, and if not, then I have no reason to write to you. But one thing I must say: if this is how you felt when I was shot, then I am so, so sorry for what I put you through.

You must survive this, Henry. You have a family, a sister. A future. And for the record, you are the first person I've truly cared about since I lost my family. Please live.

Jacob

PATIENT REPORT 20-5-15

PATIENT: Henry James Anderson

NATIONALITY: English

AGE: 18

NURSE: Margot Deschamps

EVENT: artillery fire shrapnel injuries

INJURIES: fractured right clavicle; various cuts from shrapnel across chest and right side. Blood loss critical; possibility of internal bleeding. Limited motion of right arm and leg expected.

STATUS: alive, unconscious. Survival chance undetermined.

To be delivered to Mr. and Mrs. James Anderson, Chatham, England. 

23 May 1915

Oh, Lord, Henry, please tell me you are alive. We received the report, and Mother and Father have been worried sick. I am praying for a letter that tells me you are safe. I fear any other letter I should receive. 

Please, Henry. I cannot bear to lose you. I must see you again. 

All my love, 

Elizabeth