Chapter 10

25 May 1915

I am alive and awake, though sleep was far more comfortable. I write with my left hand, for my right is injured and heavily bandaged. I remember little of the events of several days ago; only being out with Jacob and the explosion. My right side is in constant pain, and I shall have permanent scars. My ears are ringing, but my hearing is slowly returning. The Second Battle of Ypres ended today, so I am told. The news means nothing to me.

I awoke in pain in the infirmary this morning. Margot was at my bedside and asked me how I was feeling. "Your friend left a letter for you," she said. "And we have one other from a girl." She handed me letters from Jacob and Elizabeth, then left for several minutes. She returned with Jacob. "He has asked about you every five minutes," she informed me.

Jacob seemed more injured by the blast than he had described in the letter; he was bandaged and sported several impressive scratches. "Henry," he said. "How are you feeling?"

I tried to sit up and groaned in reply. "Brilliant."

He winced. "How much do you remember?"

"Nothing after the explosion. What happened?"

"You... you were caught in an artillery shot," he explained. "Serious shrapnel wounds. I got you here as fast as I could, but I... I thought you were going to die." He was making a valiant effort to keep his voice level, but it shook nonetheless. He set the bag containing my journal and other belongings beside my bed.

"You saved my life?"

He nodded. "We're even," he said, attempting a smile.

28 May 1915

I write painfully with my right hand, but Margot says it shall be weeks before I can hold anything heavier than a pen, let alone a gun. As soon as I can walk I shall be sent home. I dictated a note written by Jacob telling Elizabeth this.

I shall live to see Elizabeth again. I had reconciled myself with the fact that I would die here, and now I shall return to England. I shall never be so glad to be home. I shall miss Jacob, but I never wish to see another gun. 

29 May 1915

I am recovering slowly. I am regaining motion, though limited and painful, in my legs and right arm. I have not yet walked, and my strength has not returned. Jacob says he is happy for me but shall miss me, and I him. 

30 May 1915

Henry, 

Thank the Lord you are alive. I don't know what I would have done if you had died. Tell Jacob and Margot that we are forever grateful.

I am beyond relieved that you are returning to us. I did not sleep before I received your letter. You are finally to come home, and I shall not truly rest until you are home and safe. I love you, Henry.

Elizabeth

1 June 1915

I can walk with a crutch. It is strange to hear the battle going on nearby and to not take part, though I do not miss it. When my strength returns I will travel to Calais and take the ferry to Dover. Margot guesses that it shall be within a week, and she will not let me go until she is certain I will be safe in my travels. I cannot wait to be home.

8 June 1915

Finally I am on my way back to England. I bid Jacob good-by this morning. He saw me with my crutch and the bag that holds what remains of my belongings, and said, "On your way out?"