chapter twenty eight ... welcome home

Kairos (n

Kairos (n.)
the perfect, delicate, crucial moment; the fleeting rightness of time and place that creates the opportune atmosphere for actions, words or movement.
———

3 weeks later...

"Are you absolutely sure, King?" I questioned as I held my phone to my ear, flipping through the paperwork in front of me to make sure I didn't miss anything.

"I'm positive, Coop. I think this is a great idea," she reassured me. Sighing, I closed the pamphlet and quickly walked into my room to throw on some shorts.

"And she won't be back till 5?"

"Correct," Kingsley said with a small laugh. "You need to relax, Cooper, she's going to love it."

Satisfied, I hung up the phone just as the front door opened. Giving Benjamin a halfhearted wave, I didn't have the chance to tell him my news before he started hurriedly talking.

"I want to do something fun for King," he started to ramble as he pulled a notepad out of the spare drawer in the kitchen. "We always do basic dates and I want to blow her away."

Disappearing back into my room as he spoke, I pulled a shirt out of my closet and my wallet off my bed. Flipping through to make sure I had enough cash, I slipped my wallet and keys into my pocket.

"I think you should do some type of scavenger hunt," I told Benjamin as I walked out of my room, buttoning up my light blue shirt. "King would really love something like that."

"Do you think?" He asked, unsure as he scribbled out something on the notepad in front of him.

"I know so," I informed him as I slipped on my shoes. "Now get working on it."

"Where are you going?" Benjamin asked with a raised brow.

"There's something I gotta do. Don't wait up for me."

———

Walking through the pet store, I held tightly onto the leash as I lead Mia over to the toy aisle.

"Okay girl," I said as I bent down and pet her head. "Go pick out a toy."

As soon as I unclipped the leash from her collar, she sprinted down the aisle and went straight for a medium sized stuffed monkey. Laughing, I pulled out my phone and took a small video of her excitedly wagging her wail as she rolled around with the toy on the floor.

"Cute dog," a lady said as she came walking towards us. "What's it's name?"

"Mia," I informed her as she jumped up to her paws and walked over to show the lady her new toy. "I just adopted her today, actually."