Chapter 21: Odd Numbers and Strange Days

"Now that's something that you really don't see every day," Franky said, his eyes wide as Chopper and Brook screamed from behind him.

"BUT THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!" Chopper yelled, pointing wildly at the creature, "DINOSAURS DIED OUT MILLIONS OF YEARS AGO! HOW COULD THEY...?"

"Believe me, we were as surprised as you are," Nami said firmly. "I still don't get how this is all...?"

"Listen," Robin answered as Vivi started to talk again. She spoke about how this island somehow stayed frozen in time. Luffy looked at her and she explained that the climax must've stayed like this since ancient times.

"Can that really happen?" Brook asked in amazement.

"Given the circumstances, I would have to agree," Robin answered calmly. "And that creature's proof. It's impossible to say for certain... however, I believe that this would be the most likely reason. It's truly a fascinating thing to see..."

"Have you been here?" Nami asked her in surprise.

"Once," she admitted. "But merely to investigate. I have to admit that it was a marvel to see... in one way, it's an archeologist dream."

"Yeah, if you don't get eaten that is," Usopp whispered as Luffy's laughter rang out and he stretched out his arms so that he could hang onto the dinosaur's neck. "DINOSAUR!" he screamed joyfully.

"Of course he would be happy to see that," Zoro said shaking his head.

"ARE YOU CRAZY?!" Vivi screamed in terror.

"Actually, those are plant-eaters," Robin stated calmly. "The Brachiosaurus are strictly herbivores."

"Oh really?" Chopper asked in relief. "That's good to know. So Luffy isn't in danger."

"However, just because they don't eat meat doesn't mean that they still won't kill you," Robin added and Chopper's face turned a little blue at the thought as he stared at her.

"Robin, why do you love doing this to us?" Usopp asked, "Can you at least keep your morbid thoughts to yourself?"

She shrugged back as Luffy went jumping up to the dinosaur's head. He was standing up and looking around eagerly.

"How does he do it?" Nami asked in amazement, "I mean... turn even something dangerous like this into almost a game?"

"Luffy's a very complicated person to figure out," Robin said softly, "But... at the same time... he's not that hard at all. He's reckless and wild... but he's always had that childlike personality. It's like he hasn't grown out of that state of mind."

"Yeah," Usopp said, but he couldn't help but feel a little uneasy at that. Sure, Luffy was still like that in a lot of ways, but their Luffy wasn't exactly like the same person he was here. Of course, after travelling the Grand Line all this time, and everything they've been through together, he supposed that they shouldn't be surprised. He shook his head, pushing it from his mind as Luffy began yelling down at Vivi that he found a place to have their lunch.

"I really hope that he didn't mean on top of a dinosaur's head," Sanji said in a warning voice. "I don't care how nice the view is, that would ruin the taste!"

Vivi seemed to agree, but for a different reason. "It's dangerous up there! Come down already!" she yelled—like a mother would to a child who had climbed too high in a tree, "It may seem nice but it's still a dinosaur!"

"We have something in common! We both love to eat!" Luffy waved down happily.

"And imagine trying to fill his belly," Franky laughed.