Chapter 49: Power of Darkness and Bon Clay's Stand

*Luffy and Ace*

Both boys were lying flat on their backs after that last attack, panting for breath and so tired that they were having a hard time trying getting their bodies to move properly.

"Hey, Ace!" Luffy called as he looked up at the white clouds above him. "You give up yet?"

"Funny! I was just about to ask the same thing!" Ace retorted, pushing himself back up into a sitting position. "Damn... when'd you become so tough? Who taught you to be this stubborn?"

"Go ask yourself!" Luffy laughed, still smiling as he breathed hard, not remembering the last time that he had this much fun. He started to laugh to himself before it slowly died out and he seemed focused on the blue sky once again, an odd emptiness inside him.

"Alright, what's wrong now?" Ace said suddenly, noticing that Luffy seemed to be falling back into that grim mood again.

"This is the last time that we're gonna fight aren't we?" Luffy asked quietly. He remembered that was what Ace had said earlier about this being the very last battle that they will fight, the last time that they will test their strength against the other, and he didn't want it to ever end.

"At least for a long time," Ace confirmed as he stretched out comfortably. "The next time that we meet up, there will be little doubt to me that you will be the stronger out of the two of us. I can't grow any stronger anymore... but you can only continue to grow stronger. So we might as well enjoy ourselves now before that day comes."

"But...?" Luffy said softly, guilt once more taking over inside as he pushed himself up, looking at his big brother's face.

Ace frowned. "You're ruining a fun fight," he warned, "Don't tell me you still feel guilty over what happened to me?"

Luffy didn't say anything as he looked away, but his face clearly said it all and Ace shook his head.

"How many times do I have to tell you?" Ace asked, his tone sharp. "I though you understood already! What happened to me wasn't your fault! When are you gonna just face that?"

Luffy's eyes narrowed. "Because it was my fault! I couldn't move when that lava jerk was coming at me?!"

"And after everything you went through, are you surprised?!" Ace demanded hotly. "If I went running after you guys instead of letting that lava jerk get to me, then we wouldn't be here would we? Luffy... sometimes things just happen, we can't always be looking for someone to blame, even if it's ourselves. I don't blame you! Now stop talking like that or else it's just going to make my victory here suck."

Now the distraction worked for a moment, for Luffy got to his feet, ready to go at him once again and even charged ahead with a loud battle cry—ready to show him what he thought of that comment. Ace got up as well, wondering just what he would have to do to get through Luffy's head that what he said was true? Damn Luffy, why are you blaming yourself here? He knew that Luffy had slowly come to grips over his death over the last two years, but there was still a part of Luffy's mind that seemed to still be haunted over that moment.

Fine, if he had to beat it into Luffy's head for him to understand then he would have to. This battle was going to end soon anyway for he felt himself already being pushed to his limits here. This fight was almost over and he knew that they both sensed it... the weaker one will crumble first. And he sent his flames right at him, seeing the fire burning in both their eyes, determined to make a point.

"Just living for one day... WAS ENOUGH FOR ME!" he declared, glaring into Luffy's eyes. "AND I'LL BE DAMNED IF I STOOD BACK AND LET YOU DIE WITHOUT PAYING BACK THE DEBT I ALREADY OWE YOU!"