Amok Time - Epilogue Part 1

As the entry doors parted for him, Captain James T. Kirk strolled onto the starship's bridge, accompanied by his second-in-command, First Officer Spock. He couldn't help the smug urge to pat himself on the back. Today's efforts had not been for a military mission but a personal one, on behalf of Mr. Spock, who also happened to be Kirk's best friend. Still, Kirk considered it no less vital, and relished their success. Less than an hour before, even their chances of survival had been in serious question.

Mr. Spock showed no such excitement or pride or even relief. Like all members of his planet Vulcan, he suppressed his emotions in favor of logic and reason, focusing entirely on efficiency and productivity, unhindered by the turbulent feelings that were so common among humans.

Still, Vulcans had feelings, buried deep beneath the surface. Especially Spock, who was also half-human. Kirk should have realized that those suppressed feelings could eventually boil to the surface, as Spock's had in the last few days. But he could never have imagined they would consume Spock so completely as to strip him of all his usual reasoning abilities, turning him into a devious, combative, raging, and even lustful and violent individual. So dangerous that he jumped at the chance to fight Kirk to the death on his home planet, Vulcan, when Spock's intended bride, T'Pring, insisted upon enacting their age-old Vulcan tradition of combat for her hand.

It was only through the genius of Kirk's other close friend, Dr. "Bones" McCoy, that they had all escaped alive. Bones used the heavy atmosphere and heat of Vulcan as an excuse to give Kirk a neuro-paralyzer, claiming it would help strengthen him for combat. Instead, it knocked Kirk out within a minute, making it appear that Spock had strangled him to death. Bones then contacted the crew of their starship, the USS Enterprise, to request they teleport him and "Kirk's body" aboard, before it could be examined more closely by any of the clever Vulcans.

Especially the shrewd Vulcan ruler, T'Pau, who had been officiating at Spock's wedding. She was not a woman to be trifled with, as Kirk soon learned. He hoped to impress her, knowing her esteemed reputation among both Vulcan and the Federation that governed Starfleet. Instead, when T'Pring chose Kirk to challenge Spock in battle for her, T'Pau refused to let Kirk out of the agreement, even after Kirk discovered the fight was to the death.

On the way to the bridge, Spock explained to Kirk that T'Pring had only chosen him in order to offend them both, freeing herself to marry another Vulcan, Stonn, with no repercussions. A brilliant scheme, which Spock admired for its perfect logic. Kirk almost shook his head. Even when spurned at the altar, nothing appealed to a Vulcan – especially Spock – more than logic.

Of course, upon seeing Kirk alive, Spock had grabbed him and smiled in a way that no one thought Vulcans could. But – well, they simply wouldn't talk about that with Mr. Spock. There was no point arguing with the supreme intellect of a Vulcan, even if both parties knew the Vulcan was wrong.

And that, Kirk realized, was what made him so giddy. They had deceived the Vulcans – even the revered Vulcan leader, T'Pau – and gotten away with it. They all believed Kirk to be dead, murdered by Spock in their primitive ritual. In spite of their superior intellect and deductive reasoning, the Vulcans had actually been outwitted.

"So, Mr. Spock," Kirk said. "No hard feelings?"

From his post at the rear of the bridge, Spock turned and knit his brows as if Kirk was speaking an unknown language. "'Hard feelings'?" he repeated.

Kirk knew the very suggestion that Spock could have any feelings, hard or soft, was an offense to the Vulcan. But he couldn't resist the chance to rib his friend. Especially since he knew Spock would also be offended by the suggestion that he could even be offended. "Over the fight," he said. "I mean, they forced us into it, and only one of us could survive, so I had to give it my best. I hope I didn't rough you up too much."

Spock blinked hard at him, then stood a little taller. "I assure you," Spock said evenly. "I am quite well, and completely unharmed."

Kirk fought to suppress a smile. They both knew Spock had the Vulcan strength to knock him across a room without even trying. "Glad to hear it, Mr. Spock. I would hate to have my best officer nursing any bruises over a wedding brawl." He turned around in his seat, aware that Spock's eyes were still burning into him. A moment later, he heard Spock's feet shuffle to turn back to his console, resuming his duties and shoving aside whatever feelings he had, as always. "Mr. Sulu," Kirk addressed his helmsman. "Best speed to Altair VI."

"En route, Captain," Mr. Sulu replied. "Estimated arrival in 6 hours."

"Nice of T'Pau to give us that extra time," Kirk joked over his shoulder to Spock, who seemed to ignore him. Kirk had defied Starfleet Command's orders to rush to a ceremony on Altair VI, choosing instead to return Spock to his home planet of Vulcan. After examining Spock, Bones had insisted upon it, not only to cure Spock of his recent erratic behavior, but also to save his life. Neither Kirk nor McCoy understood the importance of Spock returning to Vulcan, but Bones knew the internal pressure of Spock's emotional buildup would kill him if it wasn't stopped soon. Kirk couldn't reveal any of this confidential information to Admiral Komack, so his vague request to delay their meeting on Altair VI was denied. To save Spock, Kirk had risked courtmartial.

In turn, the Vulcan leader, T'Pau, had saved Kirk. Upon returning to the Enterprise, Kirk received word that T'Pau had contacted Startfleet Command to claim they had visited Vulcan upon her request. Admiral Komack had no choice but to approve the temporary delay. T'Pau was highly revered, not only on Vulcan, but by the Federation itself, as the only person to have turned down an offer to join their ranks. Apparently, her Vulcan duties – and logic – dictated that she remain separate from the Federation.

Whatever the reason, no one dared argue with anyone as influential as T'Pau. And Kirk was glad to have her on his side, even if she did so unwittingly.

Kirk sat back in his chair, crossing his ankles. This day could not have ended any better.

"Captain," Lt. Uhura said from the console behind Kirk's chair, a touch of concern in her voice. That usually meant bad news from his Communications Officer, though Kirk couldn't imagine anything dampening his current mood.

He swiveled his chair toward her. "What is it, Lieutenant?"

"I'm receiving an urgent request for communication from the planet Vulcan," she said, turning slowly in her seat. She looked over her shoulder to meet his eyes. "Sir. It's T'Pau."