Amok Time - Epilogue Part 2

Kirk swallowed, though he doubted that anyone noticed. He had to maintain his composure in front of his crew at all times, especially those on the bridge. He relied most heavily on them for day-to-day operations and he needed them to rely on his leadership. "Did she – say what she wants?"

"No. She was most insistent on speaking to you, sir. I can play back the recording, but she's waiting."

He licked his lips. It was not wise – or logical – to keep a woman of such interstellar importance holding on the line. But he needed time to think. More time than he had. "Let's hear the recording," he said with nonchalance.

Uhura pressed a switch on her control board, allowing the entire bridge crew to hear the message. "USS Enterprise," a stern Vulcan voice addressed them. It reminded Kirk of a cross between some Balkan dialects on Earth, and that of a thoroughly traditional and disappointed Jewish mother. "This is T'Pau of Vulcan. I demand to speak with your Captain James T. Kirk, whom I know to be very much alive." There was a clear edge on that last word, as though it had been spoken through clenched teeth.

Kirk tightened his lips, looking to Spock for any suggestions of what to do next.

Spock raised an eyebrow, his Vulcan version of a shrug. "It appears Dr. McCoy's deception was not entirely successful," he said.

Kirk frowned at him. So much for that hope. He signaled to Uhura. "On screen."

T'Pau's wizened features filled the broad display screen facing the crew. Even Mr. Sulu reared back a little from his console at the sight. Kirk discarded the comparison to a stereotypical Jewish mother. T'Pau more closely resembled some magistrates he had encountered in traffic court, or one of the deans at Starfleet Academy, with whose offices Kirk had become very familiar. He forced a smile. "T'Pau. Nice to hear from you so soon after our last visit."

She was clearly not amused. Of course, Kirk couldn't expect such a high ruler of Vulcan to laugh. He just wished she could loosen that tight frown.

"It is no surprise to hear from me, Captain Kirk," she said in the same disciplinary tone. "But to see thee, so soon after your alleged death, is – to say the least – unanticipated."

"I'll take that as a compliment," Kirk said, still smiling and wondering why. Perhaps he figured that playing the fool would buy him more time with her.

"I do not believe that was how she intended it," Spock said.

Kirk gave him a tolerant stare. "Thank you, Mr. Spock."

"I was surprised," T'Pau continued. "When I contacted your Federation to tell them I had requested thy ship's presence on Vulcan, and they told me the request was acknowledged by the ship's captain. I questioned this, and was assured that the response came not from the USS Enterprise crew, but from Captain Kirk himself. So consider this next question carefully, if thee wishes to avoid an interstellar incident between Vulcan and thy Federation. Tell me, Captain James T. Kirk. Why are thee not dead?"

Kirk licked his lips. "It's a personal preference."

T'Pau's head reared back, her eyes blazing. "Does thee now make human jokes?"

Kirk grit his teeth, his forehead growing warm. "Not ... very well, it seems."

"Thee were invited, not by me, but by Spock," T'Pau continued, baring her teeth. "Into a most private and sacred ceremony. Thee violated our laws of combat which have been preserved since the beginning of Vulcan history and tradition."

"Tradition," Kirk started, not sure how he would finish his sentence. "... Tradition – is very important. To Earth and the Federation, as well as to Vulcan." He became aware of Spock and the rest of the crew waiting on his words. He crossed his legs. "We also have traditions, which must be preserved at all costs."

T'Pau blinked, taken aback. Kirk didn't know if she was impressed, offended, or both.

"Our purpose is to protect life," he continued. "All life. Human, Vulcan, and otherwise. And to preserve the traditions of their cultures. Therefore, we do not interfere with the development of other races by forcing our will upon them. When we came to your planet at Mr. Spock's request, we were placed in a quandary. We could not violate the traditions of Vulcan. Nor could we ignore our own. So we naturally felt –."

T'Pau raised an imperious eyebrow.

Kirk instantly recognized that it would not help to reference "feelings" to an esteemed ruler of a logic-centric planet.

"... we reasoned that the only way to preserve and honor both cultures was to create ... an alternative reality."

She lowered her chin to her chest. "A deception, Captain."

"Only for Earth," he said. "In order to preserve Vulcan tradition, Spock or myself had to die. But to preserve Earth tradition to protect all life, we both had to survive. Our – deception, as you call it – preserved both cultures. On Vulcan, I died, while on Earth, I remained alive. So, in the end ... it all worked out. To the benefit of both parties."

She stared down her nose at him as everyone waited in silence. Finally, she said, "Captain Kirk. Thee 'reasons' like one of thy Earth's poker players."

Kirk forced an even broader smile. "You're familiar with poker?" he asked, hoping his playful tone sounded friendly.

Her expression remained fixed. "I have met enough of such players to recognize a charlatan when I see one," she said flatly.

Kirk swallowed.