Amok Time - Epilogue Part 3

"Nevertheless," T'Pau continued. "Thy self-serving reasoning is logical, and honors both Vulcan and Earth. And thus, it is accepted." She gave a solemn nod.

Kirk could almost feel the collective sigh of relief from the entire bridge crew.

"As for Spock," T'Pau said, turning toward Kirk's science officer. "What happened between T'Pring and Stonn is lawful, but does not honor our ways. Commitments were made and should have been kept. Since T'Pring has broken her commitment to thee, I will be watching closely to make certain she now keeps her commitment to Stonn. Spock. I regret that this has happened to thee. Thee should not have been treated in this manner, after such a long time away from your home world."

Spock bowed to her. "I am honored."

"Captain Kirk. Thee have honored our world in a way I did not expect. Thee have also seen the savagery of our earliest time, who we Vulcans are at our heart's core, and yet thee have not condemned us. I trust thee and thy crew will continue to honor us by keeping this entire matter private."

Kirk straightened in his chair. "I, and my crew here, will keep all of these events in complete confidence. I swear."

"Then thee and thy crew will always be welcome on Vulcan. For counsel, for refuge, and for assistance. At any time, for any need. As long as it does not violate our Vulcan laws. It is our way of conveying shared respect and appreciation, in the way thee humans say, 'Thank you.'"

Kirk nodded. "And we extend the same invitation, to you and all of Vulcan. Whenever you need us, the USS Enterprise will always be at your disposal."

T'Pau paused, blinked, and then leaned forward. "So long as it does not violate the ways of thy Federation, of course."

Kirk nodded quickly as an afterthought. "Of course. Naturally, everything we do will always be in line with Federation requirements."

She bowed slightly. "Then from myself and all of Vulcan, we wish thee well on all of thy journeys. Captain Kirk, and thy crew – live long and prosper."

The screen went blank.

Kirk released a slow sigh, then exchanged a glance with Spock. "Well, that went better than expected."

Behind him, the bridge entry doors slid open. Dr. McCoy entered, staring at the screen, flanked by his nurse, Christine Chapel, carrying a tray of soup. "Did I hear right, Jim?" he asked, still fixated on the quiet screen. "Did we just receive a communication from T'Pau?"

"Don't worry, Bones," Kirk said. "I left your name out of it."

McCoy struck his fists on his hips, seeming genuinely offended. "Even though it was my idea to slip you that neuro-paralyzer?"

Kirk shrugged. "I didn't know you wanted credit," he said. "Next time you want to stick your neck in a noose, I'll remember to make extra room."

"Mr. Spock," Nurse Chapel said, approaching him with the tray of steaming soup. "I made you that plomeek soup you asked for."

Kirk stroked his chin, watching Chapel as she approached his second-in-command. Her crush on Spock was well-known to both him and Bones. Her last attempt to make Vulcan soup had earned a hostile outburst from Spock, drawing Kirk's attention to his out-of-control emotions.

Spock now stared at the bowl as if confused by it. "It's hardly appropriate to serve food on the bridge," he said.

Nurse Chapel knit her brows, frowning at the tray with a look of shame.

Kirk felt bad for her. She never seemed to realize that his unemotional First Officer would always spurn her affections.

"I – I'm sorry, Mr. Spock," she said. "I just thought –."

"I have my duties, as do you," Spock continued like a correcting professor. "I trust you have not neglected yours in order to make this meal."

"No, of course not, Mr. Spock. I only – I thought you wanted it."

"I would prefer it in my quarters, if you don't mind," he said.

"Oh. Of course, Mr. Spock. I'll take it there right now. You can warm it when you're ready."

Spock nodded, watching her turn away with the steaming bowl. He returned to his console as the entry doors slid open again. Then he turned back. "Nurse Chapel," he said.

She leaned forward from the doorframe. "Yes?"

Spock glanced around the bridge, briefly meeting everyone's stares. With a frown, he folded his hands behind his back. "Thank you for the soup."

Nurse Chapel seemed about to fall over herself with joy. "Oh, you're very welcome, Mr. Spock. I'll leave it in your quarters for you." She stepped back, letting the entry doors close on her beaming smile.

Kirk and McCoy grinned at Spock, who stared back at them without expression. Spock raised his eyebrows. "As we are primarily an Earthen vessel, it seems logical that we follow Earthen traditions of showing gratitude," he said. "For the benefit of all parties."

Kirk pressed his lips tight for a moment. "Quite logical, Mr. Spock. And diplomatic, as always."

McCoy chimed in. "If you ask me, Jim, marriage – however brief – has made Spock a far more sensitive man."

Spock sighed with clear annoyance. "For a physician, Doctor, your assessments are rather imprecise. I am not a man. I am a Vulcan. And I am not – nor will I ever be – sensitive."

McCoy made no effort to hide his smile, clearly pleased with himself.

"As you were, gentlemen," Kirk said, concluding the exchange. "Mr. Sulu. Continue on course for Altair VI."

He stared ahead at the stars as they proceeded toward their destination. He knew Spock would continue to function alongside them, tolerating and working in conjunction with their human ways. As for his own half-human emotions, Spock would continue to deny their existence, and the affair of his primitive urges running amok would be completely forgotten.

Except, of course, by those who knew him best.