Part 25 - Family Ties (III)

The little tabletop ansible on the Captain's desk chirped as the hail was accepted. Mitzner's own face, give or take, appeared on the screen. She was smiling at first, but it quickly melted into a scowl.

"Well. I didn't want to believe it but here you are, wearing that uniform. You're a real disgrace, do you know that? There's nothing more pathetic than a willing slave. What is the Foundation doing here? If you think we're undefended you are about to learn a very costly lesson."

"Woah, woah, woah," said Mitzner. "Hold on. I haven't even said anything."

"Your uniform speaks volumes, or are you going to tell me you're not a member of the Huxley Foundation?"

She spat out the name with obvious hatred. Mitzner could sympathize. To say she used to say it the same way would be an understatement.

"You've got me there," said Mitzner, "but you have to believe me we come in peace."

"Then why come at all? You of all people should know the Foundation is not welcome here."

"We're explorers."

The Queen sneered.

"Look, I get it. Do you think I don't get it? I was there. I know what went down. But everyone involved in that project is dead. I killed some of them personally. The Huxley Foundation isn't what it used to be. The war is over, a good majority of the assholes are dead, and those of us that survived finally have a chance to build something better. A Pax Galactica based on democracy and freedom instead of empire and control. It's a new era. I wouldn't be sitting here, wearing this uniform, if I didn't believe that."

"Pretty words."

"Ones that I believe in. Can you think of an alternate reason for why one of us would join the Foundation?"

"Let's pretend for a moment that I believe you. What then?"

"Well if you're feeling real friendly we'd like to stop by. Maybe get a second chance at a first impression. Possibly even take the first steps towards opening formal relations between your people and the Foundation. Like us or not we're the only remaining galactic superpower. You can't just ignore us forever."

"And if I'm not feeling 'real friendly'?"

"Then we'll go bother someone else. As I told you we're on a mission of peace. Our mandate is to rediscover lost human worlds and to defend civilization in the periphery. That's it. We're not out here to force ourselves on anyone."

"I'm not interested in establishing formal relations with the Huxley Foundation. I'd be lying if I said you hadn't intrigued me though. I wouldn't object to a visit from you. You should see what I've been building. It may not be as grandiose as a galactic peace but it's somewhere I'm proud to call home."

"I'd like that," said Mitnzer.

"Of course I can't let you bring a Foundation starship into my system. Try that and I'll blow it apart no matter who is aboard."

"I believe you, but how am I supposed get over to the planet then?"

The Queen looked thoughtful for a moment.

"I'm willing to allow your starship to approach our system. Just close enough to launch a shuttle. After that they must leave immediately. You can come the rest of the way on your own. Since I'm obviously already out of my mind I'll even permit you to bring one guest. No weapons though."

"Oh like I'm not going to bring weapons," scoffed Mitzner.

"Fine," replied the Queen, "but you guest has to be unarmed."

"Deal. I'm actually looking forward to this."

"I am too, in spite of myself. What's your name by the way?"

"Zarah, what's yours?"

"Zoe. I don't think we've met."

"Who can remember. We all look the same."