Part 26 - Family Ties (IV)

Mitzner left the office for the bridge and explained everything to Captain Littlecrow.

"It's an unconventional proposal but I don't have any objections to it," said the Captain. "We're supposed to respect the local laws and customs so if you're the only member of the crew they're willing to host then you should go. If things go well we might be able to establish relations with these people after all."

"Technically I'm not the only member," said Mitzner. "I'm allowed to bring a guest."

"All the better. Do you have someone in mind?"

"Well, you won't come will you?" asked Mitzner.

"Of course not," replied the Captain. "I'm needed here."

"Didn't think so. I figure I'll bring McAfree. I'm sure she'll jump at the chance for an adventure."

* * *

"Absolutely not," said McAfree. "Every time you and I go down on an away mission together it turns into an unmitigated disaster wherein a bunch of people die and I end up having to wear a dress. No thank you."

"Where's your sense of adventure?" asked Mitzner.

"Laying in pieces inside a gravity bubble on some moon somewhere."

Mitzner cornered McAfree in the mess hall. If you knew her routine it was the best place to catch her away from Dr. Kang. McAfree made a mental note to start varying her routine more.

"But we make such a great team," insisted Mitzner.

"Too bad," replied McAfree.

"I'll owe you a favor."

"Oh my stars you already owe me so many favors."

"Who else am I supposed to bring? The Captain won't leave the ship."

"Not my problem," said McAfree. "Try Wagner he never has anything to do."

"Maybe I will," said Mitnzer.

"Good," replied McAfree. "Do it. He'll be flattered."

"I'm serious."

"So am I. You're not going to make me jealous."

"You really don't want to come?"

"Oh no I totally do," McAfree deadpanned. "I'm playing hard to get. You just need to ask me a quintillion more times."

"Fine. You don't know what you're missing though."

"I know exactly what I'm missing, that's why I'm choosing to miss it."

McAfree began to guide noodles into her mouth with a fork hungrily. That gave Mitzner an idea.

"You know we'd be honored guests of the Queen, right?"

"So?" replied McAfree, her mouth full of noodles. "You're literally the only person on this ship who cares about that kind of stuff."

"...we'd be attending various fancy dinners, luncheons, brunches, catered socials, all with expertly prepared real food quite literally fit for a queen. Grown fresh on a planet. None of this deep space long term storage garbage."

McAfree looked down at her noodles in their sad grey broth.

"You're diabolical," she said.

"So you'll come?" asked Mitnzer.

"I hate you," replied McAfree.

"You hate me because I just convinced you to come, though, right?"

McAfree made a high-pitched frustrated noise.

"Yes," she replied, clearly disgusted with herself.

"Great! We'll have fun, you'll see. This isn't dangerous at all. It's not like every away mission we go on is doomed."

McAfree gave her an annoyed look.

"I'm going to get out of here before I talk myself past the sale," said Mitzner.

"That's probably wise," replied McAfree.

"I'll meet you at the airlock in an hour."

Mitzner left. McAfree looked back at her noodles. She threw her fork on the table and sighed.

* * *

Mitzner considered wearing something besides her Exploration Fleet uniform, the Queen hadn't exactly reacted positively to it, but her purpose for being there was to represent the Foundation. Perhaps to change some minds about the Foundation. She would need to have the courage of her convictions to pull that off.

McAfree met her at the airlock, wearing the same white uniform. It was unlikely she had put the same amount of thought into the choice.

"You ready to go?" asked Mitzner.

"Sure," said McAfree, her words entirely bereft of enthusiasm.

"You don't have any weapons on you, do you?"

McAfree looked around as though she expected to find someone to give a "can you believe this" look to.

"No. Should I?"

"No," replied Mitzner.

"Because I have an ion pistol. They gave me one when I got my Foundation membership."

"No, I was specifically told you should be unarmed."

"That makes it sound like I should be armed."

"Don't worry about it. I have several ion pistols. I have it covered."

McAfree sputtered.

"So you're expecting a fight?"

"I'm not expecting anything. I bring weapons everywhere."

"Dr. Kang was right, you are going to get me killed."

"Dr. Kang is never right," snarled Mitzner.

"He's always right that's why he's so awful."

The airlock dinged. It was finished decompressing.

"Just get in the shuttle," said Mitzner.

McAfree looked back in the general direction she would have to walk to get to her quarters.

"You don't need a gun!" insisted Mitzner.

"That's easy to say when you've got all the guns," mumbled McAfree, as she entered the airlock.

Mitzner went in behind her, shaking her head.