[9]

I turned off my phone after that conversation and caught up on much needed sleep, but not before downing a pint of water and taking the maximum dose of Tylenol.

My friends telling me that I turned into some flirty little mistress was making my head hurt way worse than a hangover ever could.

Monday and Tuesday went by in a blur, nothing in lessons sticking in my head, my notes not making sense. April and Faye sensed something was up with me but I wouldn't budge when they asked and they eventually gave up when I started to snap at them.

I don't think I've ever had to say "I'm fine." So many times in the space of 48 hours in my life.

The only good thing to come of the first half of the week was soccer training. I got to push myself beyond my limit, putting my cocktail of emotions into playing better and working harder than I ever have before. Even coach was impressed with the effort I put into my first session. I don't think anyone dribbled the ball past me that day, I felt like Virgil Van Dijk in his prime. I was a solid defensive wall in training and my ego felt much better for it.

Most people knew that I'd been having an off week so knew that was why I was acting like a serious, head in the game caption would, but coach just assumed I was showing the newbies what kind of effort and focus to aim for at training.

Mackenzie fit in great with the team. All of the girls love her, except for Emma, she obviously knows how to play, we just haven't done any shooting or attacking practice as of yet so I can't tell if she's the striker were holding out for. We also haven't put her into a competitive game situation so it's one thing being able to shoot with no pressure, it's another thing being asked to shoot whilst being surrounded by several defenders who wouldn't mind snapping your legs in a tackle if it means we don't score.

Time will tell I suppose.

It's Wednesday now and I'm running down my driveway, a half eaten bagel clamped in my mouth as I hold my car keys in one hand and my sports bag in the other. I'm running behind. School starts in twenty minutes, but despite that giving me plenty of time to get there I have a meeting with principal Webber in ten. I think it's to do with Mackenzie, so it's not formal but I don't want to be late for it.

I unlock the car and throw my stuff into the passenger seat, slotting my keys into the ignition and turning.

Only the engine doesn't start.

I try a couple more times before screaming with frustration and slamming my hands down on my steering wheel. Out of all days, why did today have to be the day when my car broke down. I only just got the darn thing fixed and it's already cutting out on me.

I'm going to have to walk, and even if I walk I'll be late for first bell. April doesn't have a car, Faye is already at school and I'd rather be late to school than get in a car with Clay right now. We're on even worse terms than before, on my side anyway. He's acting all lovely and nice and I let him in front of everyone, because he isn't a mind reader and can't tell I'm annoyed with myself about it.

I can't bring myself to be okay with him just yet even though I know in my heart he hasn't done anything wrong.

I grab my phone from my bag and scan through my contacts, hoping a name pops out that I could ask to give me a lift. The only person who lives anywhere near me is Freya, but I know she wouldn't even pïss on me if I was on fire, so she definitely wouldn't pick me up.

Then my thumb stops on Mackenzie and I ponder asking her. She's the only person who knows I slept with Clay besides Clay himself so I've not had to be defensive around her this week. She hasn't asked me how I am, she's not pestered me to fill her in, frankly she hasn't brought it up again. She's the only person who's not constantly checking in on me and for that reason we've been getting on fine this week.