[23]

I didn't bother sticking around for the post match team talk or for a shower. I just grabbed my bag, swapped my cleats for sliders and left before anyone else had entered the changing room. The thought of having to sit in a room with both Mackenzie and Freya sounded like far too much for me to handle and I figured it best for everyone if I just went home for the night. I know my actions are going to have serious repercussions, especially with Coach Sanders. I really won't be surprised if she decides to bench me or even strip me of my captaincy, but I know that deep in my chest that if I had stayed and seen Freya sitting next to Mackenzie, my actions would have no doubt gotten me suspended.

I throw my bag in the trunk of my car and slam it shut with more force than necessary, resting my palms against the trunk and leaning against my car. I close my eyes in an attempt to expel some of my frustration and terror, but my emotions can't seem to settle. I can barely hear myself think over the noise coming from the people that came to watch the game, wave after wave of supporters emerging from the gate that seperates the parking lot and bleachers; many of them wander over to congratulate me on my performance or tell me how great the team did.

I just smile tightly and hope I seem a lot more relaxed than I feel. I stand there for as long as I can take it, thanking everyone when they come over and edging closer to my drivers door with each passing person. I glance at my watch and sigh, realising that if I don't leave now the rest of the team will come out and catch me. I don't feel like recieving a third degree from my whole team as to why I've stormed away, something I've never ever done no matter how a result panned out.

Eventually I find a small window between people and rush into my seat, closing the door behind me and hiding out of everyone's eyeline. My car is far enough away from all of my teammates', so when they finally emerge from the changing rooms less than a minute later, they can't immediately spot my car.

I release a heavy sigh, blowing the stray hairs dancing in front of my eyes back into my hairline. Tallk about narrowly dodging a bullet.

I find myself biting down hard on my teeth when I see Mackenzie emerge next to Freya, the latter chatting and smiling without a hint of remorse for what she's done. Why should she? The psycho bítch thinks she has me under her thumb because she thinks I cheated on Clay, and she's parading around with Mackenzie on her arm because she thinks she's got me to back off. Oh how I hate that girl.

I watch Mackenzie , my eyes glued to her beautiful presence, her bottom lip sucked into her mouth and her grey eyes darting around the parking lot as if she's looking for something. Her hair is wet and piled up on top of her head, her usually sandy blonde hair appearing slightly muddy in colour. I know I wanted to get as far away from school as possible, but I can't bring myself to leave when she's right there, standing around with that girl I despise. I watch like some sort of creep as she puts her hand into the pocket of her tight fitting sweats and pulls out her phone, her attention diverted as Freya continues to attempt to grab her attention.

She brings her phone up to her ear and I feel mine vibrate in my lap. I look down and see that she's calling me, and the smugness I feel wash over me is indescribable, because she's picking me over Freya and Freya is right next to her.

"Hey." I say to her steadily, my eyes stuck on her like glue. I watch as she brings her hand up to her mouth, chewing her nail as she continues to look around the parking lot.

"Where are you?" I hear her voice through the phone, her gentle tone immediately calming me and releasing a pressure in my chest I didn't realise I had. I watch as Freya's eyes snap up, an annoyed look on her face as she realises that even if she tries to use me to drive a wedge between Mackenzie and I, she still picks me despite not knowing what happened during my brief time on the bench.