CHAPTER 21: Who Said That?!?

TARAGON

I guess that meeting with the Head Elder wasn't too bad but yet still left me with some unanswered questions.

Now at least, we have the chance to go and look for what we need to kill this thing in case we should ever encounter it.

I'm beginning to question though at the same time in that the Elder still seemed as though he had something he wasn't telling us.

After the meeting, both Lesley, Delta, Charlize and I, we all had agreed upon making sure that no matter what happened, we would do whatever it took to survive. Despite what the Elder told us today.

Now, going against an Elder can in general (depending on the crime and severity of it) can result in the death penalty no matter what the reason was for, the punishment would be severe.

However, I felt deep down inside that I still needed to take that risk. For I am an Alpha. The leader of a great pack that has been reborn again. I have an obligation to lead my pack and set an example for standing up for what's right and not follow what I know deep down inside isn't right.

"It's a huge risk we're taking by doing this." I hear Charlize comment to me after the meeting was done as both Lesley and Delta left the office leaving her and I alone.

"I know but we really have no other choice." I remind her.

"I'm scared. I don't feel right about this." She begins telling me.

"I know. Me neither. But like you said before and as you noticed yesterday as well, he is still hiding something from us and honestly, and I can't believe I am even saying this, but I'm not sure we can trust him entirely." I confess.

"This is so crazy." She begins to say a little more worried than before.

"True. Then again, this is sometimes things we have to face sometimes." I tell her.

"Yeah, I know." She says.

"You know, we should really get some things packed for the next several days for that's how long it will take us to get to the spot where the weapon is." I tell her.

"Okay." She nods in agreement and we head upstairs to start packing a backpack for each of us.

Afterwards, I went to go do my rounds around the perimeter and ask my pack how they were all doing and feeling while reminding them to mind link me and or Charlize if anything goes wrong or anything.

When returning back home though, as soon as I walked inside, I saw Charlize sitting on the couch and talking with Lesley and he looks up at me and then I notice she's crying.

"What's the matter? What happened?" I asked concerned.

"There's a problem." Lesley begins.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"It seems that Mort has been killed." He states.

I don't understand why she'd be upset about that. If anything we should be celebrating the fact that she never has to worry about him ever again including there ever being a chance of trying to come after her and or me.

"So?" I asked.

Both of them looked at me as if there was more to it.

"Well, we aren't sure in why yet but, supposedly word is getting around that she murdered him." Lesley tells me.

I look at her and see her avoiding eye contact with me trying hard not to cry but can't stop the tears from falling as I notice start to wipe the tears away from her eyes.

"Oh shit." I say under my breath.

"I'm gonna leave you two alone to talk." He says as he pats me on the back before leaving.

I walk over and sit down next to her while taking hold of her hand and gently circling my thumb around the back of her hand. This was the LAST thing we needed right now.

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)

I wonder who accused her of that!?!? 🤔