chapter five

"Is anyone here?" I called into the Clearwater's house a few days later. It was a rare, sunny Thursday, and I had been reading a book under a warm blanket on the porch of my house since school had let out. But my Nana couldn't let me me have piece of mind for more than a few minutes, before she was chasing after me with some new thing to do for her. Now it was some cookie recipe to bring to Sue Clearwater.

While I normally would have protested profusely- and I had a bit- I couldn't deny that I was my stomach was fluttering with butterflies at the possibility of seeing Seth again. Since our awkward encounter a few days ago, his name had been echoing in my mind. Every thought I had had traced back to him... it was like he had invaded my mind and wouldn't get out.

"Hello?" I tried again, the Clearwater's door was completely open, unlocked. This was getting a little too murder scene for me. But my strong desire to see Seth again had me walking completely into the house. I stalked through the front room into the dinning room, tracing my hand along the wooden walls as I progressed farther into their small cottage.

I gasped when my eyes caught sight of red pot set in the middle of the table, with a weak green stem sprouting from the clay colored soil, and a broken daisy flower hanging, ready to snap.

"Poor flower," I muttered to myself, stepping forward and leaning over the plant. I pulled the bobby pin that was securing my hair back out from behind my ear, and went to work. I took my precious time, carefully losing myself in the tedious task of wrapping the vine around the flower. If I made a strong enough crutch for the snapped head, the flower would grow back normally.

"There you go-" I whispered to myself, patting the soil down gently to make a stronger base.

"You like flowers?" A voice pulls me from my reverie.

I squealed, jumping ten feet in the air and flailing forward in fright. I held out my hands in preparation to hit the wooden floor. Before I could hit the ground, Seth was next to me at an Inhumane speed, wrapping one arm around my waist and the other grabbing my wrist. I was pushed up against his too warm, shirtless chest. Both of us were breathing heavily, staring into eachothers eyes. I gulped, unable to look away.

Today had been warmer, and I had taken the opportunity to wear a black tank top over my jeans. Now, with my bare arms and shoulders, I was all too aware of the skin to skin contact I was making with Seth, who was wearing nothing but a pair of shorts. My bare skin had formed goosebumps, and was tingling at being pressed flush against his tanned skin.

"You're doing it again." I muttered, unable to stop my mouth.

"What?" He broke from his trance, letting go of me and taking a step away from me. I awkwardly darted my eyes to the floor.

"Y-you're staring at me again. Is there something on my face? Sorry, that was stupid to ask-"

"No, your face isn't wrong. Or, that came out wrong. It's beautiful..." My eyes widened at that and he stammered- "Ly normal. Your face is beautifully normal." He stammered out.

My heart sank. Of course he thought I was boring, plain looking. Everyone did. I nod awkwardly. And we wait in a long moment of silence, I feel his eyes dart around the room, desperate. Why am I so nervous? Why am I so uncomfortable? Why is he so nervous?

After an immeasurable amount of silence he finally speaks up.

"Sorry." I say at the same time he says "you didn't answer my question."

"Wh-what question?" I pipe.

"Do you like flowers?"

"Oh." Wasn't expecting that. I play with my thumbnail as I respond, looking down. "Um. No. Well, sort of. It's really lame and kind of boring. I just think they're pretty."

"I don't think that's lame." He says quickly, "I think it's really interesting. Thanks for saving my moms rose."

I crack a smile and look up into his eyes, "It's not a rose, it's a daisy."

"Either way, thank you." He smiles warmly back. I flinch again when I hear a wolf howl in the distance; Quileute was notorious for it's wildlife. The wolves had been hard to adjust to at night since moving here, but I had grown used to the noise.

"Damn." Seth cursed, looking really conflicted. "I have to go. Will you be safe on the walk home?"

"Oh. I-I'm sure I will, it's only a block-" I stammer, dejected that he had to leave so soon. He turns to leave, "Wait!" he turns around.

"The reason I came over," I hand him the small piece of paper from my Nana, "My Nana had some recipe to give to your mom."

Seth looks down at the crumbled paper, then back up, smiling. "I'll be sure to get this to her. Just go straight home and stay inside tonight, okay?"

"O-okay?" I furrow my eyebrows. And with that, he's gone again.