twenty six

"Married?!" Kim shrieks, and all eyes fall on her. I sink back into Seth's side, hiding my face in his neck. Oh no. This wasn't going to be good. I didn't want to hurt anyone's' feelings with our elopement. It was done on a whim. After being Kim's maid of honor, and Emily's bridesmaids, a wedding was too stressful. Too intimidating. Too much.

Seth and I weren't like that. I didn't even need a ring, or flowers, or a white dress. I just needed him. In fact, I was wearing a striped blue sundress that was wrinkled from the long card ride from La Push, my favorite worn sandals. Seth wore shorts and a tee- it was perfect. Exactly what we wanted.

"Yes-" Seth begins but Emily cuts him off.

"I always knew you two would elope," She grins wryly, and the tired look on her face morphs to newfound excitement, "Congratulations, lovebirds!"

"I knew it! I knew something was up!" Quil cries, "I even told Sam."

"He did." Sam comments, and claps Seth on the back, "Welcome to married life,"

"Bet she did it to avoid wearing a wedding dress," Jared sniggers, earning chuckles from a few.

"Jared," Emily commands, "Go grab the champagne in the fridge, we're toasting to the Clearwaters!"

"Hear that, Mrs. Clearwater?" Seth murmurs in my ear, and I blush at the attention of everyone, I was still getting used to being in my young twenties and married. Seth's favorite thing in the world had become calling me Mrs. Clearwater, taking over as his new choice nickname. It was adorable, and made me swoon. He said "Mrs. Clearwater" with so much pride, like a kid announcing they just made straight A's. It also made him irresistible to me, that he especially didn't mind.

Everyone cheers and goes to disperse, but I don't lose how Kim still has a blank face. Seth doesn't notice as he high fives his brothers, but I clear my throat.

"K-kim?" I ponder, wandering from Seth's side and taking a step forward closer to her. Her gaze snaps from the table to me, as a hurt expression crosses her face.

"I can't believe you did this without me," She shakes her head at me.

The boys all quiet down and don't even hide their staring, gossips. Emily bites her lips timidly, wincing while handing the baby over to Sam in case she needs to intervene.

"I-it wasn't to hurt anyone, Kim," I plead, and feel Seth grab my hand and squeeze it. "It was just something we wanted to do with the two of us-"

"Bullshit," Kim shoots back, causing Emily to gasp, "Kim, stop it-"

The tension is so thick in the kitchen that it feels like everyone is frozen, I hear Seth growl behind me protectively and grab my hand harder.

"You can't say you weren't trying to hurt anyone when you don't include us- your family- on the biggest day of your life." Kim demands, rising out of her chair and crossing her arms, "your grandparents must be crushed from what you did."

"They aren't, Kim," Seth shoots back, and the hair on my neck stands at the venom in his voice, even if it's not directed at me. Seth rarely got angry. "They're happy for us, just like everyone else here is. Maybe the only thing wrong with this situation is you."

"Watch it," Jared grunts from behind Kim, glaring at Seth and stepping in front of her protectively.

"You're ruining what's supposed to be a celebration," Seth insists, not backing down.