Chapter 3

The interior of Carvolier was significantly less grand than the outside. At least, the hallways were. Just dull stone walls and stone floors that made an eerie, echoing pulse every time you took a step. There was also this odd...hum to the air, like that prickly feeling across your skin as a thunderstorm approaches.

"And here we are, Mr. Elvar. Let's not dawdle now." The portly man — who Nagan learned was called Sir Luxivo and absolutely did not like being called a butler — ushered him through double doors into a sizable room. It was filled with simple beds, curtains, and the scent of too many herbs in one place. It made Nagan's nose crinkle in distaste, and he wanted to sneeze.

Having heard the doors open, a middle-aged woman stepped out of a back room and strode towards them with a warm smile. "Archabor," she greeted Sir Luxivo with a graceful incline of her head. Must be the butler — er, Sir Luxivo's first name, Nagan thought vaguely while the woman continued. "It's not often I see you so early into the school year. Has there already been an injury?"

Nagan let out a noise of protest when Sir Luxivo pushed him forward, keeping a firm grip on his shoulder. The grip slackened as Sir Luxivo said in a hushed tone, "This is the condition he came in."

He leaned forward as if telling a great secret. "This is Nageth's child."

The woman's eyes flashed with surprise before settling to sympathy as she carefully took his arm to inspect a large scrape. With a nod, she gently pulled Nagan next to her and rested a hand on his head. The action made him blush a bit. It had been awhile since someone treated him like this.

Like a mother.

The thought was intrusive and made Nagan's heart ache; and he pushed it to the back of his mind hoping it would disappear. Yet the dull ache remained.

"I will make sure he's fit enough to attend the welcoming ceremony," she said. "Thank you for bringing him to me."

With a curt nod, Sir Luxivo left the medical wing, leaving Nagan and the woman alone.

"I am Marvi Matticus, but most call me Nurse Marvi," she said to Nagan shortly after the doors closed. "I am the residential nurse for Carvolier in addition to a teacher of the medical arts. What may I call you?"

"Nagan," he said more harshly than intended. That's not what I wanted.

Clearing his throat, he tried again with a small bow, hoping to mend his mistake. "My name is Nagania Elvar, but you can call me Nagan."

Nurse Marvi continued to smile as if she didn't hear his initial harshness. Without a word, she led him to a separate room. It had a simple bed, cabinets filled with medical supplies, and a tub. The tub was situated in the ground with panels surrounding it for privacy.

"Let's get you cleaned up before we start treating all those scrapes and cuts you have."

Marvi didn't know what to make of the situation

Marvi didn't know what to make of the situation. It was still fairly early in the morning when Archabor, the caretaker, brought in a small boy. He was malnourished, visibly looked to have just gotten out of a fight, and had bloodstains on his sides and arms. There was even dried blood at the corner of his mouth, hopefully from a cut lip rather than anything internal.

Despite the boy's roughness, he looked vaguely familiar. It wasn't until Archabor said he was Nageth's child did his exotic yet familiar face make sense. She knew Nageth married a gypsy woman. A very kind and fierce woman at that. But where was his mother? Why is he in such a poor condition? Who harmed him? Not knowing what else to do, she continued on with her duties as normal, treating his injuries and giving him some much-needed nourishment.

When she saw how his back was covered in fresh bruises and old scars, which looked suspiciously like lash marks, she could no longer hold her tongue.

"What happened to you? These cuts and bruises can't be more than a day old," she gently prodded, wanting him to talk to her rather than shut her out.

She observed as his shoulders tensed. His reply was short. "I was being chased."

"May I ask why?"

No reply.

She hummed in acknowledgement to his unwillingness and moved on from the subject. "Where is your mother?"

Once again, Nagan said nothing. Marvi almost asked another question when she heard him say quietly, "She's dead."

She asked no more questions after that. What could she say? He lost his mother and doesn't know where his father is, and from the looks of it, got tossed around on the streets for it. No, instead of forcing them out in the open, it was best for those stories to unravel in their own time.

 No, instead of forcing them out in the open, it was best for those stories to unravel in their own time

Nagan appreciated the silence, but it made him somewhat uncomfortable. He didn't mean to make the atmosphere so glum. He fumbled around for anything to say, but conversations were never his strong suit.

Yet luck seemed to be on his side that day. Once again, he didn't need to do anything for the situation to change. The doors opened, and in walked Sir Luxivo. It was...oddly in time with his thoughts. Nagan would have to look into this later.

"No need," the nasal voice cut in, "I'm a master in divination, thus know where I'll be needed."

Nagan's mouth hung open in shock, and he stared in amazement before clicking it shut. His amazement then turned into heavy skepticism.

Before he could say anything, he was cut off again. "No, I cannot read your mind, but this question comes up fairly often." Sir Luxivo nodded in approval. "You caught on rather quickly, I'll give you that. Now, pip pop! If we're done here, I need to show you to your room. I have another appointment in approximately twenty minutes."

Nagan did not question it. Perhaps he would another time, but for now he wanted to rest. That is, if he even had time to. Apparently there was a welcoming ceremony to attend. Maybe he should skip it.

He slid off the bed once Nurse Marvi was done treating him. Glancing up at her face, he saw her condoling expression and felt a wad of guilt. With another bow, a bit awkwardly due to the bandages around his torso, he tried to convey what he wanted to say in two words, "Thank you."

Nagan felt relieved when Nurse Marvi smiled and nodded as if saying she understood. He then turned to face Sir Luxivo and followed him wordlessly out of the medical wing. No use aggravating the seemingly innocuous man.

As Nagan passed the doors, he heard a faint, "I'm sorry."

He didn't need to turn to know who it was.