Chapter 39

"Az, I swear if you make me late to the one good thing that's happened to me in literal months, I will take your nails and feed them to you."

"It's too early for your morbid threats..."

"GET UP."

The next moment Az found himself blanketless and on the floor.

"Ow!" Az sat up groggily rubbing his head before glaring up at his fuming friend. His glare turned into confusion the moment he realized what Nagan was wearing. The same deep purple suit from Turn of the Year. "What are you doing?"

Nagan looked like he wanted to deck him. Instead, he turned sharply on his heel and snapped open his trunk to begin rummaging through it. Within seconds he pulled out the dark green version of what he was wearing and draped it out across the bed. "You have three guesses."

Well for one, Nagan wouldn't be caught dead wearing those clothes on an average day so something's happening today. Either that or his mother is paying a visit, but why would she be here? Why was Nagan waking him up so early anyway? Weren't classes canceled for them so they could have time to prepare for--

Instantly Az was awake and jumped to his feet.

"The Dragon Choosing Ceremony!" Az shouted as he scooped up his clothes and charged into the bathroom, not even bothering to shut the door all the way.

Az could practically hear the smirk in Nagan's voice as he said, "Glad I didn't need to spell it out for you."

"What time is it even?" The question sounded muffled as he rubbed his face with a damp towel.

"Nearly noon."

Az nearly choked. "Nearly noon?" he croaked.

"Nearly noon. Which means it is almost time for the luncheon. In fact, I was already down by the Great Hall and chatted with Master and Madam Arcloven," Nagan said candidly.

Az burst from the bathroom, hair in disarray and still fumbling with buttons. "I'm dead! I'm so dead!"

"Should've woken up when I shook you the first time." Nagan grabbed a comb and a few pins before kneeling on his bed. "Sit and I'll do your hair."

"What would I do without you?" Az said wobbly and plopped down in front of his friend. Nagan chose not to reply. Immediately he began to work out all the snarled and braided down the most unruly section.

"Now let's go," Nagan said while slipping on his boots, Az doing the same. "We're gonna have to speed walk to get there in time."

Az gulped at the idea. Despite Nagan being nearly a head shorter than him, the boy had an impressively fast-paced walk.

By the time they got there, Madam Arcloven didn't have enough time to scold them before the children receiving a dragon and their families filed into the Great Hall

For this occasion, a large table was placed down the center of the room and was filled with well-made food. Certainly better than what was offered at the cafeteria.

Nagan recognized some of the families there from Turn of the Year, and a few he knew didn't have any children in his grade. They must be here for the show. He scowled when he saw Honorias among them and made it his mission to avoid them at all costs.

And he nearly succeeded until he was stopped by Master Honoria just as the children were told to line up.

"Master Elvar," Master Honoria managed to say with little strain, "I see you were deemed well enough to take part in the Dragon Choosing Ceremony. How do you fair?"

Nagan politely smiled back, though not an ounce of it reached his eyes. "I've made a full recovery. Thank you for your concern."

"And yet you are still quite young for this, are you not?" he pried.

Nagan wanted to grit his teeth. "I am 13."

Master Honoria hesitated. "Indeed you are, but not even past the first month I hear." From Carthadeus, Nagan thought irritably. "No one would blame you for holding back another year. Becoming a Dragonmage is quite the responsibility."

"A responsibility I will bear regardless if I take it now or later," Nagan said simply. "I'm at the top of my class, so it would be 'an insult to my intelligence,' as Master Dagmire told me, if I didn't take the opportunity this year." You are insulting my intelligence if you question me any further.

Master Honoria must not have gotten the hint as he opened his mouth again, but Professor Fai was soon by Nagan's side and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"I'm sure you'd like to chat further with Master Elvar, but if you will excuse us, Master Honoria, young Nagan here must be getting in line to receive his dragon." Professor Fai didn't wait for a response before pulling Nagan away and leading him to his respective position.

"Thank you, Professor," Nagan said sincerely to which Professor Fai only nodded.

They were lined up in alphabetical order by last name. Az stood at the very front while Nagan only stood a few paces behind. He could see Az fidgeting, whether from nerves or the realization of what he was committing to. Yet he could also see his resolve. Both he and Az knew what was coming, and they were both willing to defend what they believed in. By the time Az reached the entrance to the Dragon Chamber, he had stopped fidgeting and entered without hesitation.

No one besides the one receiving the dragon egg was allowed into the chamber. Once the doors closed behind Az, all Nagan could do was wait for his friend to emerge.