Chapter 7

In the end, Madam Arcloven scolded the boys for taking too long while Florine skipped around chanting, "Somebody's in trouble!" At least it didn't last long since they really were running late. Madam Arcloven led the way with a brisk walk, fast enough that a silent Master Arcloven had to carry Florine. Now that he was closer, Nagan could see that not only was Master Arcloven tall, but he also held a sense of humility and maintained a gentle expression. The complete opposite of Madam Arcloven, honestly. Although he had yet to say anything to Nagan, he made no indication that he disliked him. Nagan was fine with this.

Another thing Nagan was glad about was the lack of funny looks. Well, they were still there, but none lingered for very long. He didn't know if it was because he was no longer in rags or if it was because he was with a high mage family.

"Now," Madam Arcloven's voice cut through the air as they continued to turn corners, "would it be correct of me to assume you know near to nothing about how to conduct yourself as a young master, Nagan?"

"Yes, madam."

"Ma'am," she corrected swiftly. "Your case is tricky. You don't quite qualify as a master yet due to your age, but you also shouldn't be considered a young master since you are unofficially the head of your family line. With that said, you may choose how you wish to be addressed, and most will not question you. That is, if they have enough wit about them. That is why it would be more proper for you to address me as 'ma'am.' Do you understand?"

"Yes, ma'am." He paused a moment as he realized something and asked, "Do I use those terms at social gatherings or all the time for formalities? Not that I mind, but you've been calling me by name."

Madam Arcloven hummed. "For one, it doesn't take a genius to see you need some time to adjust to your rightful title. Second, here at Carvolier, you would keep your roommate for your entire school career unless you absolutely do not get along. You and Az seem to get along just fine, so it thought it'd be appropriate to treat you as my own." If I don't, who else will care for this child? Madam Arcloven added almost in exasperation to herself before looking over her shoulder to ask, "Is that alright with you, Nagan?"

Nagan felt his cheeks redden and nearly did a spit-take. Is she serious? She's only known me for a few hours, tops! He screamed internally. Madam Arcloven's gaze made it seem like he really didn't have much of a choice. Not that he did; bad things have happened when he refused the rich's generosity. This really was his lucky day. A bit too good to be true, however, and Nagan decided to listen to his instincts to play it safe.

"This seems too good to be true," Nagan said honestly. "But if you're sure about this, then what should I call you now?"

Madam Arcloven smiled faintly, an equivalent to a grin, and face forward once again. "Whichever you're comfortable with." As if the conversation never happened, she continued with her usual clipped tone. "Now then, more about greeting etiquette."

By the time they arrived at the Great Hall — where the welcome ceremony would take place, apparently — Nagan's head was swimming with new information about important families and how to guess what title to give someone by the way they introduce th...

By the time they arrived at the Great Hall — where the welcome ceremony would take place, apparently — Nagan's head was swimming with new information about important families and how to guess what title to give someone by the way they introduce themselves. Though when in doubt, address them as young master or young madam. Titles and flattery were what would gain you higher favors, and it was an excellent way for gaining future allies, apparently. This would take a bit of getting used to.

"So that means do not get into fights with your peers," Madam Arcloven lectured while she flattened Az's hair and straightened Nagan's tie. "These are the people you will most likely work with for the rest of your lives, so no use making public enemies."

She gave the boys one last evaluation before nodding curtly. "I will see you in a few months. I hope to receive good news about your progress and not a note of trouble, you hear me?" Her stern, nearly glaring expression made the boys nod their heads vigorously.

To Nagan's surprise, Master Arcloven stepped forward with a now sleeping Florine in his arms and had a gentle smile on his face as he added softly, "Good luck in your studies, and do the best you can."

"Thank you, Father," Az replied immediately with his own grin while Nagan simply nodded, still stunned that Master Arcloven actually spoke.

"Alright, enough of that. Time for you two to go in." Madam Arcloven impatiently ushered them in, having already lectured about the importance of punctuality. After one last round of goodbyes, the Arcloven family departed.

It was never said out loud, but as the two of them peered into the Great Hall, both boys were relieved they were in this together and pitied the ones who walked in alone.

The Great Hall was, well, great. Huge. Grand. And filled with students. The ages seemed to range from their age — around eleven or twelve, wearing the same grey uniform, too — to young adults who wore either red, blue, or green. Nagan might have been gaping at the sight, but he couldn't care less at the moment. The setting sun shone through the arched glass ceiling, making the quartz-dotted walls glint. On either side of the doors lined rows of tables with chairs set on one side, each row elevated a step to improve visibility, making it seem more like an arena. Straight ahead was another elevated platform, but instead of tables and chairs, there stood stone thrones with white cushions padding the seats. Nagan counted eleven in total and noticed the middle one was taller than the rest.

What stunned Nagan the most, however, was the Great Hall's primary source of light. Near the center of the ceiling, floating in midair, was a massive ball of light so bright that Nagan couldn't look at it for more than a second. It was like a sun, but with no warmth, and it was made of different colors. Red, blue, and green streaks whirled around tightly to form a sphere with grey making the center, all the while pulsing steadily like a heartbeat. It didn't take long for Nagan to figure out the humming was coming from the light sphere. But even though he was almost directly under the source, the humming was quite muted and blended in with the background smoothly. Either that, or he had gotten used to it.

Az nudged Nagan with his elbow, effectively snapping him out of his gawking, and pointed to a pair of open seats on the far side in a row near the middle. Nodding in agreement, the two squeezed their way through, much to the annoyance of others, to get there. They made it to the seats in the nick of time though, just seconds before a hidden door next to the head platform opened and who he assumed were the teachers filed in one by one.

As each walked in, Nagan noticed the light above grew brighter, and the humming louder, until the last entered the Great Hall. It was a man of great stature with a handsome face and long black hair pulled back into a braid along with the shadow of a beard. Though he wore a bright smile, his long, confident strides demanded respect. The room grew silent, and the humming disappeared as the light shone its brightest.

That was when Nagan knew this man was powerful.

The teachers took their seats, leaving the middle one empty, and the man stepped forward.

"Welcome, students, new or returning!" His voice was clear and echoed off the walls. "I am Master Dagmire, the head of Carvolier Academy."