chapter four- lil bit of bullshit

Casey

Later that afternoon, once school let out, I was on my way to the parking lot where I would usually meet Jonathan since he was my ride home. Instead of making my way through the maze of hallways towards the front doors of the school, I decided to take the shortcut in the alley between the gym and the library. I had discovered this way only a few weeks ago. It cut the walking time in half and I hated dealing with the crowd of students, anyway. 

As I went to turn the corner to emerge into the alley, I stopped in my tracks, however, at the sight of Nancy and Steve having a conversation that looked pretty heated. I quickly stepped back behind the wall to avoid them noticing me and having an awkward encounter.

"What are you doing here?" Steve asked. He sounded aggravated.

"What do you think?" Nancy shot back. "Where were you this morning? I missed first period..."

"I figured someone else should've given you a ride," He explained bluntly. I cocked an eyebrow.

"Okay, what is going on? What are you talking about?" She questioned him.

Steve scoffed, "Jesus, you really can't handle your alcohol..."

It felt weird eavesdropping on them, but it wasn't my fault. This is the only way to the parking lot from here, and I'm not doubling back through the school. 

"You remember going to Tina's party last night, right?" He continued. 

"Yes," Nancy replied.

"And then what?"

"I remember dancing and spilling some punch," Nancy began to remember. "You got mad at me because I was drunk and then you took me home."

Steve scoffed again, almost on the verge of laughing. I rolled my eyes at how rude he sounded. "No, see, that's where your mind gets a little bit fuzzy. You left me at the party and got a ride from your buddy, Billy."

I'm sorry, WHAT?!

I felt my eyebrows basically skyrocket as Nancy stepped in again, "I don't understand."

"It's pretty simple, Nancy. You were just telling it like it was last night," He subtly told her. 

"What?" Nancy asked. She sounded almost confused now.

"Umm, apparently we killed Barb and I don't care because I'm bullshit, and our whole relationship is bullshit. I mean, pretty much everything is bullshit, bullshit, bullshit." My heart began to race at the mention of Barbara, but Steve continued on, "Oh, yeah, also, you don't love me."

"I was drunk, Steve! I don't remember any of that," She defended.

"So, that makes everything that you said..it's what? Just bullshit, too?" He shot back. 

"Yes!" Nancy practically exclaimed. 

"Well, then tell me,"

"Tell you what?"

"You love me," He explained further.

"Really, Steve-"

"Harrington!" Another voice joined the argument. "Dude, we need you back on the court, man! That douchebag Billy is killing us, let's go!"

"Alright! I'll be there in a sec," Steve shouted back. I heard the third pair of sneakers run off again, then silence as Steve waited for an answer.