Insecurities

Five year has passed since her return from the North, five years of a bountiful summer, and five years of peace. She turns her head to the door, the sound of giggling children as the doors open and her little dragons barged in. Daenerys had always believe the curse of the witch would haunt her but now, in this life, she believes once more. Her twin dragons, the Blood of Old Valyria is strong within them. Daenys, said to resemble Queen Rhaella, her strong and kind royal mother, when she was but a little princess. Daeron, named after the the Good, a ball of fire and always active. She loved her children with all her heart. Behind them came in Missandei, her close friend and confidant. She had made Missandei and Greyworm the godparents of her twins. If she died, at least she knows they are in safe hands.

The past five years have seen the Realm recover with great speed and the bounty of which the people rejoice. Bountiful harvests, plentiful granaries and better taxes at low rates, Daenerys was content. Ruling as the first female monarch of Westeros had many implications. She had to create a legacy that would ensure all future female monarchs are not viewed as weak. As her children play with their toys, she turns to Blackwater Bay. There, her older children played and basked in the Summer heat. Drogon and Rhaegal had grown exponentially but were still dwarfed by Cannibal who occasionally came to the Capital, preferring the warmth of the Dragonmont at Dragonstone. Her heart aches to know Viserion, her pale gold son, resides in Winterfell but at least he is cared for by Jon. 

She sees Aegon mounted on Rhaegal, and smiles. Her husband enjoyed riding Rhaegal and flying in the summer skies. She loved him dearly. Yet, these past five years have not been easy. With the children around, and the Realm recovering they did not have as much leisure time between them both. She frowns on the companions Aegon keeps, particularly the remnants of the Golden Company top command. The mercenary group disbanded, at Aegon's urging, to form the Royal Army and settled outside King's Landing. The idea of a field army under Crown command strengthened royal authority and projection of strength. The Unsullied, formed the core of the footmen whilst the Golden Company complimented it with a mix of combined arms units, heavy horse and light troops. The Dothraki, her loyal bloodriders, formed the main cavalry portion of the Royal Army.

The day is spent holding Court, attending council meetings and meeting the children during their lessons. She teaches them High Valyrian personally, making sure Missandei teaches them the bastard dialects of the language. When the night rules the skies, she retreats to her private chambers where Missandei, Grey Worm, Jorah, Daario, Kinvara and Daavos awaited. As she sat, they took their seats too around the circular table. 

"Now, shall we begin?" they all nodded and presented their reports. Missandei reported that her network of little birds had made progress in keeping tabs on all the Great Houses. The little birds were of great help, it extended the eyes and ears of the Crown across all of Westeros. They proved their worth when they relayed information that there was unrest in the Stormlands. The Stormlords were not pleased being ruled by Edric Baratheon. Her flying Drogon alongside the arrival of 1,000 Unsullied at Summerhall silenced the potential treason. Summerhall was rebuilt along the lines of a massive southern fortress of the crown. A permanent garrison of 1,000 Unsullied, 700 Second Sons and 500 Gold Cloaks with 300 knights occupied the fortress. 

Grey Worm, Jorah and Daario updated her on the latest comings of the Royal Army. Recruits are many especially of eastern heritage. When news reached Essos of her exploits, a massive wave of migrants sailed to Westeros. King's Landing now has its own Essosi Quarters. The people she had freed regarded her kingdom as a land of new hopes and aspirations. Many flocked to the Royal Army for a stable pay, security and the chance to serve Mhysa. With increased links to Essos, the Royal Army was well-equipped with the finest weaponry money could buy. She was pleased with the state of the army.

Then came Daavos, Master of Ships and Grand Admiral of the Royal Navy. The five years of peace allowed Daenerys to establish a proper naval administration. Ports across the Crownlands directly reported to the Crown, in effect the Master of Ships. Dragonstone, Driftmark, Claw Isle, Duskendale and King's Landing were home bases of the Royal Navy. Dragonstone was the primary base due to its deep natural harbor and strategic location of the isle between Blackwater Bay and the Narrow Sea. The Royal Navy boasted many new dromonds and galleys. The Royal Navy also boasted its own merchant marine which allowed the Crown autonomy in trading with the East and within Westeros. 

Last, Kinvara. The Red Priestess returned to Volantis and within a year, the Targaryen banner rose above the Black Wall. The slaves had revolted and the so-called Blood of Old Valyria were brought down. She refused to rule, thus allowing for self-government to proceed. Kinvara, elected as a Triarch in her own right, after the city elections were open for all, returned to Westeros as the Essosi Representative on the Council. The Red Lady's mastery of the art of Rhllor's flames complimented Missandei's spy networks. The followers of Rhllor had increased in numbers throughout the years. Winning many westerosi converts and raising anxiety of the Faith. Yet she could not complain, to them, she was their prophesied savior of the world and she did not mind having their blind loyalty.

The day proceeded as usual, the reports pleased Daenerys. As she stares into the night skies, she ponders. The prosperity, the good news and bountiful season. She shivers, she feels it in her bones. The uncertainty, her inner fears and worse, her nightmares coming true.

Was she not justified in her fears? Were not all good things that come and go but a calm before the storm? No, she must be strong. She must stand tall and against all odds. She has won the battles, won the war and won the throne. 

Now, she sees, is a time where she will be tested if she could keep what she has reaped. All good things will come to and end, she must be prepared.