Apate

Cas ran a frustrated hand over his face as he flipped the page of another book. Still nothing on what they were up against.

"Cassie, we found where Sam is being held. Also the woman is here. Red head in a long black dress. Different from the maid in the video we saw. She has that symbol tattooed on her shoulder."

Cas perked up at Thomas' prayer.

"Damn it," Cas swore as he typed furiously into the laptop. If this person was strong enough to subdue Sam and change her appearance, they had to be dealing with something strong. Like a god.

He searched for different gods that could disguise themselves.

The third result made Cas stop. The symbol. It was associated with Apate, goddess of deception.

-

Dean tried to undo the straps holding Sam down, but his hands shook too hard, he kept fumbling the leather.

"I don't think so," The familiar female voice spoke from behind Dean. He whipped around scrambling for the angel blade as his gun had been discarded when he found Sam.

"You killed him," Dean growled, his jaw clenched so tight it ached.

"Well...yeah," The woman laughed, taking a step forward.

"Why? Who are you?" Dean demanded as if answers would make him feel better.

"Ever heard of pandoras box?"

Dean frowned. He knew of it, but that was more Sam's expertise.

"Well let's just say that I've been cooped up for a really long time and when hell broke open, so did pandoras box and now..." She gestured around the room elegantly. "It's an all you can eat buffet."

Dean's frown only deepened. "So what you're pandora?"

The woman laughed, "Not even close. Pandora was a..."she sneered. "I was gift to her, kept in the box only to be released when she inevitably defied Zeus. When she opened the box, I was unable to escape before she closed it back. It was then locked in hell never to be opened again."

"So who are you supposed to be?" Dean had no clue how he was going to get out of this alive. When in doubt keep them talking until you come up with a plan. The best way to keep someone like this talking? Act like you have no clue who they are, or that you've never heard of them. In this case, Dean didn't have to pretend.

"I'm Apate. I'm a goddess," She snapped, taking a hostile step forward.

"Apate, right of course," Dean shook his head with a confused frown.

"Don't you read? What kind of hunter are you?" Apate barked, her anger growing.

"Dean," Thomas' voice spoke in a pained tone from behind her. He stumbled towards them, his blade in hand. His head was bleeding, and he looked like he was barely able to stand.

"You don't give up do you?" Apate sneered.

She squeezed her hand and a snapping sound brought Thomas to his knees. He let out a cry of pain.

"Stop. What do you want?" Dean shouted.

"Your eyes of course," Apate smiled menacingly over her shoulder at Dean. "I'm the goddess of deceit. The eyes are so delectable, and they give me my power. The more deception your eyes have seen, the sweeter they are."

"Thomas," Cas' voice caused Dean to snap his head up to see the angel reach the other hunter's side.

"Oh there's the other one," Apate smiled, her eyes glancing at Dean as he watched Cas brush his hand along Thomas' face.

"Don't," Thomas shook his head. "Save...them."

"I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have let you go with him. I should have known he'd get you hurt."

Dean's throat closed at Cas' words.

"Tommy you have to hold on for me, okay? I can't lose you."

Dean's knees felt like they were going to buckle again.

"Dean."

Sam's voice again.

"Dean."

The oldest Winchester crumbled to the ground. What was the point? Why fight? He'd lost his brother. He'd lost Cas. What else was there to live for? Let Apate kill him. Maybe then he'd finally know peace.

Suddenly the room shifted, and Cas was now knelt in front of him. When had he gotten there?

"Dean, can you hear me?" Cas shook the hunter's shoulders.

Dean blinked.

He saw Thomas walk by him then, but he could have sworn his legs had been broken. Had Cas healed him?

Apate lay behind Cas, dead. A blade stuck through her back.

"Dean," Cas spoke again, his gruff voice full of concern.

"Dean," Sam knelt next to Cas now.

Dean shook his head at the sight of his brother, "Sammy?"

"Yeah, I'm here," Sam nodded, cupping the side of Dean's face, allowing him to feel how real he was.

"You were dead," Dean choked out as he yanked his brother to his chest.

"I wasn't. It was a trick. She was making you see things," Sam grunted as Dean held him close.

"So you were alive?" Dean pulled back.

"Apate, the goddess of deceit," Sam smiled.

"Thomas," Dean turned to the other hunter who was standing with Cas now. "She broke you in half...like a twig...was that..."

"That was very real," Thomas nodded, shuddering at the memory," But Cassie healed me."

"Barely," Cas grumbled.

"Hey, don't talk like that. You killed Apate, and you healed me. We couldn't have done it without you. Thank you," Thomas put a hand on Cas' shoulder.

Cas only smiled at the hunter appreciatively.

"How did you kill her?" Sam asked, helping Dean to his feet.

"A silver blade dipped in owl's blood," Cas answered.

"We should get out of here," Dean said then. He needed air. This was all too much and he didn't need to lose his shit just yet.

-

Sam cleared his throat a few minutes into the car ride. "You okay?" he asked Dean.

"Fine," Dean answered stiffly.

Sam knew that was a lie but he also knew that Dean wasn't in the mood to talk about it, so he didn't push.

"How'd you find us, Cassie?" Thomas asked then.

"I followed the GPS on your phone," Cas answered.

"So you heard my prayer?"

"I did. I was able to narrow down the possibilities after you prayed."

"Thank you, Cas," Sam turned to give the angel an appreciative smile.

Cas only gave a curt nod. His eyes darted to the rearview mirror, hoping Dean would say something next.

He didn't. He remained silent and unmoving as he drove them back to the motel.