• T H I R T Y - N I N E (C) •

A S H T O N

Dad sat beside me inspecting my vitals and reports, he was occupied in his work I took my time to stare at my old man, he was exhausted his eyes had dark circles deprived of sleep due to me, his brown hair had turned themselves in white not all but a lot of, his mustache has turned grey, he was never fond of beard always the mustache that mom hated.

I realized even being an adult I have still troubled my father a lot and for no reason resented my old man. He has always loved his kid, I realized it late and I wouldn't ever like to thank Victor Reynolds but this is the only thing I'll ever thank him for. I saw Austin begging his father to throw away the weapon, to surrender himself. I've seen the horrible kind of Satan in the form of Veronica and Victor which certainly makes me realize I'm fortuitous enough to have a great father.

He has always attempted to be an ideal dad even when he couldn't be, he made sure he was with us, no matter what happened he wouldn't have ever let anything happen to Anna if it were in his hands. Perhaps Anna had a short span of life maybe she is better up there away from all the gigantic chaos happening here.

"Dad" I called out his name. He was busy reading my reports on my call he flipped his eyes lashes up with pure shock evident on his face

I cracked up, though it was the first time after Anna's death I've called him dad. My old man was tired yearning for me to call him dad. I'm sure he lost all hopes of mending our relationship back. He knew I can be a dick but I am way too much cold and ruthless

"Say it again" he pointedly looked at me not believing I called him dad

"Paaa" the nickname Anna had given him instead of saying, Papa or dad

"Ash" he whispered I could see tears forming in his eyes

"Excuse me" I hear Natalia knock on the door gaining everyone present in the room precisely a nurse and a junior doctor who was accompanying dad with my checkup

Dad didn't even look at that direction "can you give the father-son a moment" she asked the two they nodded leaving behind the notepad and report and she herself left

"Suddenly you called me dad?" he asked any moment tears could drop themselves from his eyes

"I'm sorry," I say I have nothing else to say I was ashamed of myself, I blamed my old man and distant myself with him where in the world people long to have parents in their life I had a caring one yet didn't value the treasure

"No. I am sorry I shouldn't have let that son-of-a-bitch doctor treat my daughter"

"It's not your fault" the words sounded alien from my mouth but were truth I can't blame my old man for the crime he hasn't committed, not anymore.

***

Natalia sat numbly on their bed trying to process everything happening around her, the media, newspaper, magazine, television all of it was covered with just one story 'Natalia Ashton Cross illegitimate child of Victor Reynolds daughter of a prostitute' The word she dreaded and hated all her life came back as a tight slap 'daughter of a prostitute'

Everyone knew her identity the world came crashing down on her she was a stranger to the eyes she was friends with, they saw her with pity, lust and sympathetic gaze. People were throwing questions on her dignity, questions that not only hurt her pride but put her in a collision she hated all her life. The bubble Ashton created for her was all blown away.

"How did you seduce Ashton Cross?"

"Did you sleep with any one of his friends?"

"Do you have any illegitimate child?"