Chapter 1

Xander prowled through the house looking for his intended target. He could have mind linked his 16 year old brother, but Xander's wolf was trying to surface. If he was wise, he would have gone for a run before confronting the pup, but no one had ever accused him of that attribute.

Finding Brexton playing xbox with his friend Mason, only further irritated his wolf.

"Brex, my office, NOW!" Xander spat out while fighting his wolf side for dominance. A claw broke through, before Xander forced back his human form.

Not since he was a young pup, still in single digits of age, had Xander struggled this much with control. In fact, Xander's control was one of the very few things that had pleased his father when he was young. This ability backfired years later when Xander's unbreakable focus had given him the edge he desperately needed to beat his father in the alpha challenge. What was wrong with his wolf today?

Brexton having been better protected from their father's wrath, tended to look at life humorously. Seeing the break in Xander's form caused him to break out laughing. "Having some trouble today, Xannie?" he asked while Mason chuckled behind him.

As fair as Xander typically tried to be, his dominant side would not tolerate being mocked. "Do you really think this is a time for jokes?" he growled out at the two while unleashing some of his alpha power.

While Mason and Brexton were growing into powerful wolves, their strength was nothing compared to Xander's. Immediately, they dropped their eyes and showed their necks in submission. There was even a soft whimper coming from Mason's side of the room.

"I am not going to repeat myself, Brexton James. My office, now!" Xander commanded while enforcing his words with his alpha power. "As for you Mason, I believe they need help in the kitchen. Go!"

The two teenagers, embarrassed from the acts of submission, quickly fled the area even if it was only to distance themselves from the power radiating off of the alpha. Knowing Xander would catch anything said, Brexton merely rolled his eyes towards his best friend before they scurried off to their respective destinations.

  Knowing Xander would catch anything said, Brexton merely rolled his eyes towards his best friend before they scurried off to their respective destinations

As if stalking prey, Xander was on his brother the moment they entered the office. "What is this I hear about you skipping school?"

"Oh that," Brexton chuckled. "I thought something serious was going on."

"This is serious!" Xander snapped as he fought another claw from escaping.

"What's up with your wolf today?" Brexton asked with genuine curiosity while he intentionally attempted to change the subject.

Although alphas had enormous power that could force submission from weaker wolves, it was rare for Xander to force submission on anyone in the pack. He firmly believed that respect and submission should be earned and freely given, not freely taken. Regardless of whether or not Xander harboured guilt for forcing his brother to submit, he was singularly focused on getting answers from the pup. "The only topic up for discussion right now is you and your education," Xander insisted while narrowing his focus onto his brother.

"Oh well if it is up for discussion, then I would like to inform you that I am done with school," Brexton commented.

"No," was the one word response.

"I am 16, it is time to start my warrior training," Brexton continued.

"No," Xander repeated.

"What do you mean no? It is my choice, and I choose to be a warrior," Brexton insisted. Warriors were the fiercest fighters besides the alpha and beta, and were typically afforded much respect. Of course, Xander's father had used the warriors as his personal enforcers to inflict cruelty. Unfortunately, too many of the existing warriors chose to leave when they realized their new alpha required them to actually protect the pack, not harass them.

"You will get an education first." Xander calmly commanded.

Not one to stand down, Brexton replied, "I do not need any more education. You know that Mason and I are destined to be pack warriors. What good are algebra and chemistry to a fighter? Besides, you need us."

"You will do as you are told." Xander quietly ordered.

"That's not fair! You stopped going to school at 16, so you could learn to fight!"

"I didn't have a choice! It was father's decision," Xander responded.

"Like father, like son," Brexton mumbled under his breath.

"What did you say?" Xander softly questioned.

"You didn't have a choice, and neither do I," Brexton whined while ignoring the look of utter shock coming from his big brother.

"You are right. You don't," Xander simply stated. "No more cutting class or you will be punished. Go help-" Xander paused mid-sentence as he felt intense emotions coming from one of the patrol teams over their mind links.

'Zack, what is going on?' Xander question his beta.

'Get the doc. North boundary on the river. I don't recognize the girl, but I... I think she's dead'

"MATE!!" Xander screamed before turning into his wolf.