Chapter 6

Xander could feel a barrage of emotions coming off of his little mate through the bond that was beginning to form. Mostly it felt like waves of terror mixed with occasional spikes of anger. To Xander she looked like a deer, one that had just recognized it was in the cross eyes of a dangerous predator. If truth were told, it hurt him slightly that his mate was so afraid of him. He already had to deal with a pack that avoided and feared him because of damage his father had inflicted. However, he had always assumed that at least his mate would see him for who he really was. Xander knew he wasn't perfect, but he also wasn't the big bad wolf everyone made him out to be.

With a deep sigh, Xander decided that the girl was not going to answer him. She was like a spooked animal, even if her wolf was not present. While keeping his distance, he wisely kept himself between her and the exit. He had recognized that look.

"Well this is the Blackwood pack," Xander began to explain. "As I told you before, my name is Xander and I am the alpha here. We are not sure where you came from but you are currently in northern Minnesota. We have about 250 wolves in the pack."

Elsbeth's eyes darted down with that piece of information. Her last pack was only 50 strong, and they were more than capable of doing her harm. Though she supposed there would have been more in the pack if Dex hadn't killed so many.

"Little One, look at me." Xander commanded gently.

Trained to submit, Elsbeth immediately lifted her eyes.

"I promise you that no one here is going to hurt you," Xander said. "If anyone makes you nervous, scared, or uncomfortable I want you to come find me. Okay?"

Elsbeth looked at him blankly.

"I get that you don't want to talk, and nobody is going to make you, but I need you to acknowledge that you will come to me if you are scared. Can you give me a nod?" Xander insisted.

Elsbeth contemplated ignoring him. However, she was more terrified of making him angry. She knew from experience that alpha's did not take well to being ignored. She was lucky so far that he wasn't mad at her lack of verbal responses. Choosing not to push her luck Elsbeth gave a barely perceptible affirmative nod even though she had no plans of actually following through with that promise.

"Very good, Little One," Xander praised.

Elsbeth didn't understand why, but she felt pleased by the alpha's praise.

"Are you hungry?" Xander asked.

Elsbeth's look turned to shock. Just when the alpha seemed nice, now he was going to taunt her. Dex loved to put food in front of her, ask her if she was hungry for it, just to snatch it away before she could take a bite. Her hunger was always present, and typically Elsbeth could ignore it as long as she wasn't reminded. The pain was much worse, when Dex was entertaining himself at her expense.

"Okay, I am not sure what I said wrong there," Xander said feeling the sudden shift to anger in his mate's emotions. "Would you like me to have a plate brought from the kitchen for you to eat?"

Elsbeth just blinked in response.

"I know you can nod. If you want some food right now, just give me a nod." Xander pleaded

Elsbeth did not move.

Xander not sure what to make of the girl's response, mind linked his beta. 'Zack, I need you to bring a plate of food down. Make sure that it is not too rich, nothing that will upset her stomach.'

'She's awake! I'm on my way,' Zack responded like a giddy child.

'Don't you dare come running in here like a wild animal. She is scared and needs food. Bring food!' Xander ordered.

Xander took the plate from his beta before slamming the door in his shocked face

Xander took the plate from his beta before slamming the door in his shocked face. His mate did not need to be bothered with others while she was a statue of fear and anger. The girl had not moved since he had asked her if she was hungry. He glanced down at the plate and saw that there were some crackers, a little bit of cheese, and some fresh fruit. 'Perfect' he thought to himself.

"This is for you," Xander explained. "I am going to approach the bed to set this down, but then I will back away. Okay?"

When no response was forthcoming, Xander did exactly as he had said. He put the plate down and then retreated all the way back to the door.

Elsbeth remained motionless during the alpha's movements. She may have trembled slightly more when he was near, but now that she had her space she could breath again.

"Please eat," Xander said while indicating towards the plate.

Elsbeth was in shock. She couldn't understand what game the alpha was playing. The plate was close enough and he was far enough away that she could reach it before he would be able to snatch it away. Maybe he would punish her for thinking she had a right to take the food.

As Elsbeth contemplated her options, her stomach grumbled. 'Screw it,' she thought to herself. Before giving him a chance to change his mind she grabbed the plate and quickly scurried back to the far corner of the bed.

Xander felt his heart break over the actions of his mate. She was sitting in the corner guarding her plate like she hadn't seen food before. She scarfed down the contents as if afraid they would disappear before she could finish them.

"Do you want some more?" Xander asked kindly

Elsbeth pondered the male in front of him. She had already been given more than Dex would have given her in a week. Smart enough not to turn down a meal, now that she thought the alpha would deliver, Elsbeth gave her second nod of the day.  This nod she actually meant.