Chapter 14

For the first time in a long time, Elsbeth wanted to speak. Words were not enough to express how thankful she was to Xander, but they would be better than nothing. Not only did she feel safe, she felt cared for, valued. She did not know why the alpha was wasting so much time on her, but she desperately wanted his approval, to make him proud. Xander had devoted all afternoon to her comfort and happiness. Hours ago, the picnic had been delicious. They had spent the afternoon, lazily enjoying nature and exploring the area. Elsbeth was currently sitting on a log at the edge of a pond with her toes dipped into the cool water. The log had looked like it was made of paper when Xander easily moved it into position for her. The solid feel of it beneath her said otherwise. It did not make sense how someone so strong could also be so gentle. While she sat on the log, Xander was alternating between massaging her stiff shoulders and playing with her hair.

Relaxed and at peace, Elsbeth desired to give something back. She tried to form words, but her stubborn body would not cooperate. Attempting to get her vocal cords to move only resulted in a hacking fit. Persistence led to more coughing.

Xander hating to see his mate in distress quickly grabbed a canteen from their pack. "Drink Little One, it will soothe your throat."

Frustrated and stubborn, Elsbeth ignored the offered canteen and continued her attempts at speech to the same level of success.

Finally understanding Elsbeth's struggle, Xander pressed his hand lightly over her mouth. "Stop, Little One."

Elsbeth shook her head no.

Not caring about wet feet, Xander stepped directly in front of his little mate. She immediately dropped her gaze, embarrassed by her failure. Xander not about to allow that gently grabbed her chin and lifted up until her gaze returned back to him. "Elsbeth, don't struggle. You will speak when you are ready."

Elsbeth hastily threw her arms around, clearly indicating she was ready now.

Xander who had not relinquished his hold on her chin, slowly ran his thumb along her cheek. "I have a feeling one day you are going to have a lot to say," he said with a smirk. "But it does not need to be today. Now are you going to be good and drink your water, or am I going to be forced to do something drastic?"

Elsbeth stubbornly crossed her arms.

In an instant, Xander's smirk transformed into something that could only be described as an evil grin. Playfully he said, "So many options. Let's see, I could tickle you until you surrender or throw you into the pond, or ..." Xander paused a moment as if he needed to think. "I got it, I can kiss you into submission," Xander said triumphantly.

Elsbeth's eyes had rounded on the last option. Why would the alpha want to kiss her? Slowly she dropped her focus to his lips. What would a kiss from Xander feel like, she wondered. Lost in thought, she was startled when the alpha pressed the forgotten canteen back into her hands.

Giving her chin one final squeeze Xander gave his ultimatum, "Drink Elsbeth, or I will do all three."

That night at dinner, Xander and Elsbeth were struggling with the same thoughts

That night at dinner, Xander and Elsbeth were struggling with the same thoughts. Both were wondering what would have happened if Elsbeth had maintained her rebellion a little longer. Elsbeth felt like she had given up on a once in a lifetime opportunity. It was not likely that he would offer again. Xander wished he had just done it. His mate's response and distraction since the ultimatum, gave him the impression that she was not entirely opposed to the idea. He had never discussed the mating claim with her, and prayed daily that she would come to care for him prior to understanding the claim's existence and impact on her life.

Before the guilt could consume him, Xander turned his focus to his pack. Many sent smiles and nods in his direction while eating their full. Moving his eyes along the tables, they came to rest on Daniel. While Brexton and Daniel always seemed at odds, probably because they had been pitted against one another by their fathers, today the pup had surprised him in more ways than one.

Coming to a decision, Xander swiftly rose from his seat and made his way to the pup's table.

Daniel mid bite, respectful dropped his fork realizing the alpha was intently scrutinizing him.

"You did good today, Daniel. Well done," Xander openly praised the pup. Giving a smile and a nod, Xander turned to return to the head table.

"Alpha," Daniel hesitantly called after him. "I heard you were going to start warrior training for Brexton and Mason. Would you consider including me?"

Returning his focus back to the pup, Xander responded with one word, "Why?"

Daniel, looking confused, responded, "because I would like to be a warrior."

Xander repeated himself, "why?"

"Oh," Daniel said quietly before boldly answering. "I could give you a lot of reasons, like it's expected of me, or that I want to protect people, protect this pack, that I have always seen myself as a warrior. At times I do have those thoughts, but mainly I want you to train me because I think I could learn a lot from you."

"What are you hoping to learn?" Xander questioned curiously.

"I know you are an excellent fighter, and would teach others well," Daniel responded. "Mostly, I want to learn how to grow into a man that does not turn into my father. I do not want to be ruthless and violent. I think you could teach me that."

Surprised Xander contemplated for a moment before glancing at the other youth at the table, "Who else would like to start warrior training?" For the size of his pack, he was woefully short on trained warriors. Maybe it was time to start training the next generation.

Male and female alike, every hand at the table shot up. Commotion behind caused him to glance back. Xander was shocked when he saw nearly every shifted pack member who was not already a warrior and even some too young to shift had their hands in the air. Old and young alike, all looked determine.

"Kate?" Xander questioned when he spotted Daniel's mother with her hand raised. She was nearly as small as his mate and quite frail, very ill-suited to be a warrior.

"I do not want to be a warrior exactly," Kate answered. "But never again do I want to be helpless at a man's mercy. All I ask is for the training to learn to protect myself."

Without responding Xander made his way back to the head table. He gave an inquisitive glance to his beta. Zack nodded in return. In silent anticipation, the pack seemed to hold their breath collectively.

"Tomorrow morning, at 0600, anyone who shows up will begin training," Xander finally announced.