The Weight of Guilt (Young! James x Mute! reader)

Remus entered the Gryffindor common room and was welcomed by the sound of James Potter ranting about something. Sirius and Peter were sat on one of the red sofas, listening to their friend closely.

"...there was no need for it! I shouldn't have even bothered!" James exclaimed letting himself fall onto a large red atm chair.

"What's the matter Prongs?" Remus questioned, catching his friends attention.

"He's being ignored by a girl," Peter explained. James let out a huff of annoyance.

"Merlin! Think you'd be used to Evans ignoring by no-"

"IT'S NOT EVANS!" snapped James. "It's a Y/n. Y/n L/n. I've fancied her long before Evans, and today I finally found it in myself to talk to speak to her."

"And?"Remus questioned.

"AND, she wouldn't even talk to me. I walked up to her and introduced myself." Potter had begun ranting again, speaking so fast no one could comment, not that James was paying attention anyway.

Now It had occurred to Remus that his friend was missing a crucial detail about Y/n.

"...not one word." James continued.

"Prongs," Remus called.

"..just looked at me and went back to writing notes or doing homework or something.."

"Prongs."

"...not a single sound..."

"Prongs!"

"If she was busy, Fine!..."

"James!" Remus had begun to get rather irritated.

"..didn't want to be interrupted? FINE!"

"James!"

"..but she didn't need to be such a bi-"

"JAMES FLEAMONT POTTER!"

Sirius and Peter were dead silent and looked at Remus' angry expression with wide eyes.

"What?!" James asked also shocked at his mate's outburst.

"She wasn't ignoring you," Remus stated, with a still raised voice. "She was probably writing down a response."

"Why would she be-"

"She can't talk! Her vocal cords don't work."

James looked blankly at Remus and then to Sirius and back before looking to the floor muttering a small "oh." and sitting back down on the sofa.

"How do you know?" Sirius inquired.

"Flitwit asked me to help her with charms. Yea knows verbal spells aren't so easy when you can't speak."

"So how does she do spells then?" Peter asked.

"I found some books in the library, written by a wizard named Stephen Strange. Spent most of his life looking for ways for his son to be able to do spells."

The boys had a few more questions about the old book Remus had found. When Remus was telling Peter about one of the more 'interesting' chapters, Sirius took a glance at James.

The Gryffindor was sat, his elbows rested on his knees, hands tangled in his brown locks.

"What's the matter Prongs? You know she wasn't ignoring you now." Sirius stated.

"Doesn't matter," James spoke bluntly. "She probably hates me now." Potter slouched back into the sofa, looking up at the ceiling.

"Why? What did you do?" Peter asked.